Random Film News Thread

Info on upcoming movies -- links to trailers, gossip and buzz -- can all be found here.
Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

Re: Random Film News Thread

#76 Post by Sela » 23 Feb 2011, 15:08

2 nuggets I heard today:

- Paramount is developing a remake of Soapdish.... I remember enjoying the movie in theaters some. But I don't think I've watched it since.
Apparently they've hired Robot Chicken's Ben Schwartz to write the screenplay

- D.J. Caruso (Disturbia, Eagle Eye, I Am Number Four) has been hired to adapt and direct the comic Preacher...
8 more months of school.....

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#77 Post by alan smithee » 23 Feb 2011, 15:26

Sela wrote:Paramount is developing a remake of Soapdish.... I remember enjoying the movie in theaters some. But I don't think I've watched it since.
Apparently they've hired Robot Chicken's Ben Schwartz to write the screenplay
I remember the original being great. And I bet it holds up fine. (And I bet that there's no need for a remake.)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#78 Post by Steel Frog » 23 Feb 2011, 15:43

alan smithee wrote:I remember the original being great.
Psst. Don't say that too loud; it's one of JJ's least favorite films.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#79 Post by Mazer » 23 Feb 2011, 20:55

Steel Frog wrote:
But can't that be said of every movie that doesn't feature Schwarzenegger?

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#80 Post by snotball » 23 Feb 2011, 22:37

Sela wrote:- D.J. Caruso (Disturbia, Eagle Eye, I Am Number Four) has been hired to adapt and direct the comic Preacher...
:yuck:
Bad dates

alan smithee

#81 Post by alan smithee » 24 Feb 2011, 01:33

Steel Frog wrote:
Has he seen it?

alan smithee

#82 Post by alan smithee » 27 Feb 2011, 03:22

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#83 Post by Batman » 27 Feb 2011, 06:28

And across the land millions of young teens rejoice. :roll:
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

alan smithee

#84 Post by alan smithee » 27 Feb 2011, 11:54

Batman wrote:
And across the land millions of young teens rejoice. :roll:
:)

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#85 Post by Agrajag » 02 Mar 2011, 10:32

Sela wrote:- D.J. Caruso (Disturbia, Eagle Eye, I Am Number Four) has been hired to adapt and direct the comic Preacher...
This is half-intriguing... I read the first few issues of this graphic novel about a decade ago and always wanted to revisit/finish the series... Caruso's involvement? meh...
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Sela

#86 Post by Sela » 02 Mar 2011, 15:45

Agrajag wrote:
This is half-intriguing... I read the first few issues of this graphic novel about a decade ago and always wanted to revisit/finish the series... Caruso's involvement? meh...
Same here...

Sela

#87 Post by Sela » 02 Mar 2011, 16:03

Sela

#88 Post by Sela » 02 Mar 2011, 21:00

LOS ANGELES, CA, MARCH 3, 2011—Warner Bros-based financing and production company Alcon Entertainment (“The Blind Side,” “The Book of Eli”) co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove, in the most significant property acquisition negotiations in the Company’s 13-year history, are in final discussions to secure film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic 1982 science-fiction thriller “Blade Runner.”
Alcon is negotiating to secure the rights from producer-director Bud Yorkin, who will serve as producer on “Blade Runner” along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers. Alcon’s franchise rights would be all-inclusive, but exclude rights to remake the original. The Company, however, may produce projects based on situations introduced in the original film.
The project would be distributed domestically by Warner Bros. International rights are yet to be determined. Johnson and Kosove stated: “We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin. This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us. We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only.”
Among its many distinctions, “Blade Runner” has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by countless polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.
Released by Warner Bros. almost 30 years ago, "Blade Runner" was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark “Alien.”
The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction). “Blade Runner” was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."
The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society. Alcon’s COO Scott Parish and head of business affairs David Fierson are negotiating on behalf of the Company.
Oh God, no.....

Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

#89 Post by Dawson » 06 Mar 2011, 05:06

Sela wrote:
LOS ANGELES, CA, MARCH 3, 2011—Warner Bros-based financing and production company Alcon Entertainment (“The Blind Side,” “The Book of Eli”) co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove, in the most significant property acquisition negotiations in the Company’s 13-year history, are in final discussions to secure film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic 1982 science-fiction thriller “Blade Runner.”
Alcon is negotiating to secure the rights from producer-director Bud Yorkin, who will serve as producer on “Blade Runner” along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers. Alcon’s franchise rights would be all-inclusive, but exclude rights to remake the original. The Company, however, may produce projects based on situations introduced in the original film.
The project would be distributed domestically by Warner Bros. International rights are yet to be determined. Johnson and Kosove stated: “We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin. This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us. We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only.”
Among its many distinctions, “Blade Runner” has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by countless polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.
Released by Warner Bros. almost 30 years ago, "Blade Runner" was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark “Alien.”
The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction). “Blade Runner” was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."
The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society. Alcon’s COO Scott Parish and head of business affairs David Fierson are negotiating on behalf of the Company.
Oh God, no.....
but what if...
Shockya.com wrote:
Christopher Nolan may reboot another famous franchise once he’s completed ‘The Dark Night Rises,’ as Alcon Entertainment is looking at him to expand the world of Ridley Scott’s 1982 film ‘Blade Runner,’ www.slashfilm.com is reporting. The production company recently bought the rights to make prequels or sequels to the hit movie, and would love to reunite with Nolan. The director-writer-producer first worked with Alcon when he released his 2002 psychological thriller ‘Insomnia.’

Alcom producer and co-founder Andrew Kosove has told the website io9 that he would love to have Nolan direct a prequel. Kosove, who added that the independent production company may never even have the funds to make more ‘Blade Runner’ movies, said that he and fellow Alcon co-founder and producer Broderick Johnson will discuss what direction they want the story to go in. If that story fits Nolan’s style, they will push to have him direct the film.

Kosove added that “I think whatever success we’ve had at Alcon…that philosophy of believing in filmmakers, giving them some parameters and letting them do their jobs, has served us very, very well. And it’s how we’ll approach this process.” He also said Alcon had a great experience with Nolan when they worked on ‘Insomnia’ together, and he appreciates the methodology that the director brought to the Batman world.
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Sela

#90 Post by Sela » 06 Mar 2011, 07:27

dawson99 wrote:
Sela wrote:
Oh God, no.....
but what if...
Shockya.com wrote:
Christopher Nolan may reboot another famous franchise once he’s completed ‘The Dark Night Rises,’ as Alcon Entertainment is looking at him to expand the world of Ridley Scott’s 1982 film ‘Blade Runner,’ http://www.slashfilm.com is reporting. The production company recently bought the rights to make prequels or sequels to the hit movie, and would love to reunite with Nolan. The director-writer-producer first worked with Alcon when he released his 2002 psychological thriller ‘Insomnia.’

Alcom producer and co-founder Andrew Kosove has told the website io9 that he would love to have Nolan direct a prequel. Kosove, who added that the independent production company may never even have the funds to make more ‘Blade Runner’ movies, said that he and fellow Alcon co-founder and producer Broderick Johnson will discuss what direction they want the story to go in. If that story fits Nolan’s style, they will push to have him direct the film.

Kosove added that “I think whatever success we’ve had at Alcon…that philosophy of believing in filmmakers, giving them some parameters and letting them do their jobs, has served us very, very well. And it’s how we’ll approach this process.” He also said Alcon had a great experience with Nolan when they worked on ‘Insomnia’ together, and he appreciates the methodology that the director brought to the Batman world.

Probably not even....

Dawson

#91 Post by Dawson » 06 Mar 2011, 07:36

no... I agree, and also I've never read a more pointless story. It's like me saying on here I'm gonna remake something and then just name drop

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#92 Post by Middle » 15 Mar 2011, 01:39

dawson99 wrote:no... I agree, and also I've never read a more pointless story. It's like me saying on here I'm gonna remake something and then just name drop
Agreed, although I would like to know what attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion and C-beams glitterring in the dark near the Tannhauser gate look like.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Sela

#93 Post by Sela » 17 Mar 2011, 11:43

So this sounded interesting, since I enjoy the James Patterson's Alex Cross books.
JoBlo.com wrote:MATTHEW FOX LANDS FIRST MAJOR POST-LOST ROLE IN I, ALEX CROSS

For Lost fans who thought the roles would come pouring in for its star, Matthew Fox, after the show wrapped, your wish is now a reality. He's landed a big part in I, ALEX CROSS. So, how much do they need him to whine?

Actually, quite the contrary, he'll be something of a badass instead.

Fox plays Michael Sullivan, who kills both for money and thrills. He’s known as the Butcher of Sligo and shows why after Cross thwarts one of his killing attempts. Sullivan makes his retribution personal, by killing the detective’s wife in gruesome fashion. Then it becomes a mano a mano battle between them. Sullivan is one of the best known villains in the Patterson-penned novel series.

It's kind of hard to picture Fox as a malicious killer, but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him try.

And then I read the last paragraph...
JoBlo.com wrote:So who's Alex Cross? Thaaaat would be Tyler Perry. Whoops, and things were going so well! And directed by XXX's Rob Cohen? This just keeps getting better and better. Really curious to see how this is going to go.
DYTP!!!!!!!!!

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#94 Post by sldawgs » 17 Mar 2011, 12:12

Sela wrote:So this sounded interesting, since I enjoy the James Patterson's Alex Cross books.

For Lost fans who thought the roles would come pouring in for its star, Matthew Fox, after the show wrapped, your wish is now a reality. He's landed a big part in I, ALEX CROSS. So, how much do they need him to whine?

Fox plays Michael Sullivan, who kills both for money and thrills. He’s known as the Butcher of Sligo and shows why after Cross thwarts one of his killing attempts. Sullivan makes his retribution personal, by killing the detective’s wife in gruesome fashion. Then it becomes a mano a mano battle between them. Sullivan is one of the best known villains in the Patterson-penned novel series.

It's kind of hard to picture Fox as a malicious killer, but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him try.

JoBlo.com wrote:So who's Alex Cross? Thaaaat would be Tyler Perry. Whoops, and things were going so well! And directed by XXX's Rob Cohen? This just keeps getting better and better. Really curious to see how this is going to go.
DYTP!!!!!!!!!
He's not directing and he won't be dressed as a large black woman. Give hime a break. Wait, did I just say that?
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

Sela

#95 Post by Sela » 17 Mar 2011, 13:13

sldawgs wrote:
Sela wrote:So this sounded interesting, since I enjoy the James Patterson's Alex Cross books.

DYTP!!!!!!!!!
He's not directing and he won't be dressed as a large black woman. Give hime a break. Wait, did I just say that?
Yeah.....you did..... :?

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#96 Post by sldawgs » 17 Mar 2011, 13:31

Sela wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

DYTP!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me.
Image Image

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#97 Post by F.N.G. » 17 Mar 2011, 13:35

sldawgs wrote:
Sela wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

DYTP!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me.
TWSS
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

alan smithee

#98 Post by alan smithee » 22 Mar 2011, 13:42

sldawgs wrote:

DYTP!!!!!!!!!

Dawson

#99 Post by Dawson » 25 Mar 2011, 11:34

is it just me or does Portman look stunning here? I know it's drawn and all that but still.. nice

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#100 Post by sldawgs » 25 Mar 2011, 13:27

Natalie is looking very good this year.
portman-your-highness.PNG
And here a Thor one of just her.
portman-thor.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image