Book Talk: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (spoilers)

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#126 Post by » 23 Jul 2007, 23:33

Also, Ron faked Parseltongue? That was dumb.
The :) means it's all ok.

#127 Post by » 24 Jul 2007, 02:51

I keep thinking about things. I guess it was kind of cool when Mrs Weasely yelled at Bellatrix but I wish Ginny could have taken her out instead. Ginny felt underused this time.

Did something happen to Crabbe and Golye's folks in the previous books that I forgot? Why weren't they in thsi one?

Fiendfyre was odd, too. If Hermoine knew it could kill a horocrux why didn't she bother to learn the spell during those long nights in the tent?

enigmafa
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#128 Post by enigmafa » 24 Jul 2007, 04:37

Ya the epiloge was a huge let down. Everyone lived happily ever well duh, who is minister of magic, headmaster, what is everyone doing, what happened to the other survivors. I wasn't a huge fan of snapes memories scene, it was just such a flood of information, albeit needed and useful but was there no other way for Harry to discover it?
[250]enigmafa@gmail.com[/250] Image Image Image

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#129 Post by Middle » 24 Jul 2007, 04:50

A² wrote: I also wondered what the ensuing years held for the surviving death eaters, particularly Bellatrix and the Malfoys.
Well, Malfoy was there in the epilogue, so i suppose he was ok for the time, certainly bearing in mind that his mother actually saved Harry from certain death. Bellatrix exploded, so I guess she's not too alive anymore.
A² wrote: How come Harry didn't have to care for Lupin's kid? He was the godfather, after all.
I wondered abut that too, but maybe Ron and Hermione were a little more steady at the boot-up of their relationship than Harry and Ginny. I was kind of disappointed by that too, especially with him being the godfather.
A² wrote:Fiendfyre was odd, too. If Hermoine knew it could kill a horocrux why didn't she bother to learn the spell during those long nights in the tent?
She said fiendfire was a very dangerous spell to use (hey, one of Malfoy's palls died using it), and that it could easily backfire. And it was a very dark spell, so she would have probably not have wanted to use it either...
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#130 Post by JJ » 24 Jul 2007, 09:52

If they were really insistent on finding Harry, why not set a magic trace on anyone saying "Hermione" rather than "Voldemort"?
La la la la la.

#131 Post by » 24 Jul 2007, 16:27

Middle wrote:
A² wrote: I also wondered what the ensuing years held for the surviving death eaters, particularly Bellatrix and the Malfoys.
Well, Malfoy was there in the epilogue, so i suppose he was ok for the time, certainly bearing in mind that his mother actually saved Harry from certain death. Bellatrix exploded, so I guess she's not too alive anymore.
I thought ma weasley just stunned Bellatrix. I didn't realize she exploded her. Malfoy should be free after 19 years since he was a minor when he did his bad deeds but his parents actions were much more severe and warranted a very stiff punishment.
A² wrote:Fiendfyre was odd, too. If Hermoine knew it could kill a horocrux why didn't she bother to learn the spell during those long nights in the tent?
Middle wrote:She said fiendfire was a very dangerous spell to use (hey, one of Malfoy's palls died using it), and that it could easily backfire. And it was a very dark spell, so she would have probably not have wanted to use it either...
Still, hermoine is supposedly the best of them at tricky spells and she had plenty of time to practice. When they were feeling hopeless about finding the sword she should have been learning the spell.
Last edited by on 24 Jul 2007, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#132 Post by sldawgs » 24 Jul 2007, 17:32

So who do you think got JKR's reprieve and which two got it? Was it Lupin and Tonks?

And did I miss the person who used magic later in life?
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#133 Post by JJ » 24 Jul 2007, 18:03

Thanks for reminding me. Taking the basilisk fangs seemed really obvious while I was reading. Stupid 17-year old book characters.

As I read somewhere else, each Horcrux was destroyed by someone different. wdjk
La la la la la.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#134 Post by sldawgs » 24 Jul 2007, 18:43

JJ wrote:Thanks for reminding me. Taking the basilisk fangs seemed really obvious while I was reading. Stupid 17-year old book characters.

As I read somewhere else, each Horcrux was destroyed by someone different. wdjk
Yeah, as soon as Luna said R and H went to the bathroom, I said, "Hey! Chamber of Secrets!" but I didn't think the Basilisk would have still been there.
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

mmmmm movies
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#135 Post by mmmmm movies » 24 Jul 2007, 19:00

sldawgs wrote:So who do you think got JKR's reprieve and which two got it? Was it Lupin and Tonks?

And did I miss the person who used magic later in life?
Good question. I felt that Mr Weasley could have been the one to get the reprieve. For a while, we didn't know what happened to him in book 5. Would have been easy to kill him there. As for the 2 that got it, just pick two. She could have meant Mad-Eye and Lupin, who were both Defense against the Dark Arts teachers and members of the Order or it could have been Fred and Hedwig who have both been around since book one.(Yes I know he was just an owl, but he was still a main character)
Maybe the person who used magic later in life was Mrs Weasley who has always used magic around the house, but I never would have imagined her dueling Bellatrix.
Last edited by mmmmm movies on 25 Jul 2007, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#136 Post by Nunis » 24 Jul 2007, 22:59

I'm still working on writing up my large review/summary, but I just read this morning that Jo revealed who got the reprieve:

"Mr. Weasley, he was the person who got a reprieve," Rowling said. "When I sketched out the books, Mr. Weasley was due to die in Book Five."

As for who used magic later in life, I've heard now that that wasn't something that was necessarily going to happen in Book 7. People are now saying it was Merope Gaunt.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#137 Post by Nunis » 24 Jul 2007, 23:34

And in the transcript I posted in the All Things Harry Potter thread, there's this bit.

"Well, I swapped [Mr. Weasley] for someone else, and I don't want to say who for the people who haven't-- read. But I-- I made a decision as I went into writing Phoenix that I was gonna reprieve Mr. Weasley and I was gonna kill someone else. And if you finish the book, I expect you probably know and someone else who is a father."

So I guess that means Lupin was one of the people who weren't gonna die originally. Could mean Tonks was the second one.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#138 Post by Middle » 25 Jul 2007, 00:16

Nunis wrote:So I guess that means Lupin was one of the people who weren't gonna die originally. Could mean Tonks was the second one.
I thought this was actually one of the weak points of the book. I didn't like them both dying. Of course it was symbolic with them both lying alongside eachother, in death. Still it was hardly covered at all (well, she did leave out a dramatic Hollywood-style demise), and this way I wasn't really affected by their deaths, and I felt like they did deserve this.

mmmmm movies
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#139 Post by mmmmm movies » 25 Jul 2007, 06:03

Middle wrote:
Nunis wrote:So I guess that means Lupin was one of the people who weren't gonna die originally. Could mean Tonks was the second one.
I thought this was actually one of the weak points of the book. I didn't like them both dying. Of course it was symbolic with them both lying alongside eachother, in death. Still it was hardly covered at all (well, she did leave out a dramatic Hollywood-style demise), and this way I wasn't really affected by their deaths, and I felt like they did deserve this.
Having both Lupin and Tonks both die would have tied in really well if Harry, as the godfather, would have adopted the kid. That would have tied up orphan Harry's desire for Sirius to adopt him. I don't know how Ron and Hermione got him.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#140 Post by Middle » 25 Jul 2007, 06:17

mmmmm movies wrote:
Middle wrote:
Having both Lupin and Tonks both die would have tied in really well if Harry, as the godfather, would have adopted the kid. That would have tied up orphan Harry's desire for Sirius to adopt him. I don't know how Ron and Hermione got him.
I can't agree more there; it would have been sort of a closed circle. Hope we'll hear the reason for this in the encyclopedia...

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#141 Post by Ulkesh » 25 Jul 2007, 06:22

Harry is only 17 in Deathly Hallows, that's rather young to fulfill his Godfather duty and take care of little Teddy. I would assume Andromeda took care of Teddy at that point.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#142 Post by JJ » 25 Jul 2007, 06:29

Ulkesh wrote:Harry is only 17 in Deathly Hallows, that's rather young to fulfill his Godfather duty and take care of little Teddy. I would assume Andromeda took care of Teddy at that point.
That would be quite a strain for her.
La la la la la.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#143 Post by Nunis » 25 Jul 2007, 09:18

Remember last year J.K. Rowling posted on her website that she had been considering some alternate titles of the final Harry Potter novel before settling finally on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? She revealed one of those possible names in a question and answer session at the Moonlight Reading Book Launch in London.

Question: Will you tell us the other titles for the book?
Answer: No. One is actually used as a chapter title and the other gave too much away.
Question: What chapter has the other title?
Answer: Chapter 32.

To save you all running to fetch your books to look up the title of that chapter, the alternate title for the book Jo would have been considering would then have been:
Harry Potter and the Elder Wand

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#144 Post by JJ » 25 Jul 2007, 09:22

Nunis wrote:Remember last year J.K. Rowling posted on her website that she had been considering some alternate titles of the final Harry Potter novel before settling finally on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? She revealed one of those possible names in a question and answer session at the Moonlight Reading Book Launch in London.

Question: Will you tell us the other titles for the book?
Answer: No. One is actually used as a chapter title and the other gave too much away.
Question: What chapter has the other title?
Answer: Chapter 32.

To save you all running to fetch your books to look up the title of that chapter, the alternate title for the book Jo would have been considering would then have been:
Harry Potter and the Elder Wand
Old news. She posted that in the Euphemism thread last month.
La la la la la.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#145 Post by Nunis » 25 Jul 2007, 22:43

JKR Reveals Names of Two Characters She Had Intended to Let Live in "Deathly Hallows" and More

In a new (and very SPOILER filled) interview seen in the USA Today, author J.K. Rowling speaks more about writing and plot elements found in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. As Jo had stated previously two characters would die in the final installment of the series, and now Jo has revealed their names. Jo also gives more insight about her decision not to revisit or continue on with the Harry Potter series, as well gives additional information on other characters and their outcomes in the final book. Again, the following link contains some major "Deathly Hallows" spoilers and you are cautioned, however those who wish to read, may do so via this link.

If you can't be bothered to read the whole thing:
"Fred (Weasley, brother of Harry's friend Ron), Lupin (a former teacher at Hogwarts, the school for wizards and witches that Harry attended) and Tonks (Lupin's wife) really caused me a lot of pain," Rowling says.

"Lupin and Tonks were two who were killed who I had intended to keep alive. … It's like an exchange of hostages, isn't it? And I kept Mr. Weasley (Ron's father) alive. He was slated to die in the very, very original draft of the story."

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#146 Post by JJ » 25 Jul 2007, 22:48

Spoilers, shmoilers. People ruining their read do so at their own peril.

Were Lupin and Tonks actually important characters? I was kinda glad they died; seemed to me that they had too many pages devoted to them for no apparent reason anyway.
La la la la la.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#147 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Jul 2007, 08:50

Good gravy, JJ's all over this thread. I can't believe you read the 6th or 7th. I can't believe you're discussing the 6th or 7th. My only guess as to how you gave :4.5stars: to #6 is that you haven't read the first five. I could understand those circumstances.

Loved #7. I did cry. More than once. Bite me.

Many questions -- but the only pressing one at this time is: how did Dumbledore get the Elder Wand in a duel with Grindelwald? Good thing he wasn't facing a really powerful wizard with an undefeatable wand or anything. Did I misread that part? It's quite possible, and even likely.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#148 Post by JJ » 26 Jul 2007, 09:27

Steel Frog wrote:Loved #7. I did cry. More than once.
BIG FAT HARRY PUSSY
Steel Frog wrote:Bite me.
In the EFT version.
Steel Frog wrote:Many questions -- but the only pressing one at this time is: how did Dumbledore get the Elder Wand in a duel with Grindelwald? Good thing he wasn't facing a really powerful wizard with an undefeatable wand or anything. Did I misread that part? It's quite possible, and even likely.
Thanks for reminding me. That lack of part sucked.
La la la la la.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#149 Post by Middle » 26 Jul 2007, 10:40

JJ wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Many questions -- but the only pressing one at this time is: how did Dumbledore get the Elder Wand in a duel with Grindelwald? Good thing he wasn't facing a really powerful wizard with an undefeatable wand or anything. Did I misread that part? It's quite possible, and even likely.
Thanks for reminding me. That lack of part sucked.
Did wonder about that part too. He probably outsmarted him at some point, or the wand gave Grindelwald the same problem as it did Voldemort. Remember it says that he stole it from the wandmaker. I guess he didn't become its true master...

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#150 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Jul 2007, 10:57

Middle wrote:He probably outsmarted him at some point...
Dumbledore: I will, and I choose...[pointing behind Grindelwald] What in the world can that be?
Grindelwald: [turning around, while Dumbledore switches wands] What?! Where?! I don't see anything.
Dubledore: Oh, well, I...I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. [Dumbledore laughs]