Song lyrics - misunderstood, etc.

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Message
Author
User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#76 Post by Nunis » 28 Feb 2006, 02:17

On the subject of misheard lyrics, I read in Metro this morning that someone (David Omerod Hearing Centre, whatever that is) had made a poll to figure out what the top ones were. Apparently mishearing lyrics is sometimes caused by hearing problems; not being able to hear certain higher frequencies, thereby losing out on consonants. Whatever, here is the top five.

1. 'Scuse me while I kiss this guy ('Scuse me while I kiss the sky) -- Jimi Hendrix, Purple Haze
2. Paint the black whiter (Paperback writer) -- Beatles, Paperback Writer
3. Smoother the better (Smooth operator) -- Sade, Smooth Operator
4. Sue Lawley, Sue Lawley (So lonely, so lonely) -- Police, So Lonely
5. JoJo was a man who thought he was a woman (JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner) -- Beatles, Get Back


:lol: These are hysterical. "Paint the black whiter"? It's in the fucking song title, people, as are some of the others. How can you get the words wrong when it's in the title? Oh, and poor JoJo; he thinks he's a woman.

User avatar
Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8593
Joined: 23 Sep 2003, 21:41
Gender: Male
Location: Ohio

#77 Post by Will » 28 Feb 2006, 02:58

Nunis wrote:5. JoJo was a man who thought he was a woman (JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner) -- Beatles, Get Back
I was guilty of this one for years.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 51533
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

#78 Post by knarf » 28 Feb 2006, 07:19

Will wrote:
Nunis wrote:5. JoJo was a man who thought he was a woman (JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner) -- Beatles, Get Back
I was guilty of this one for years.
:green:
Image

VoteforPedro
Director
Director
Posts: 909
Joined: 19 Feb 2005, 23:45
Gender: Male
Location: Louisiana
Contact:

#79 Post by VoteforPedro » 28 Feb 2006, 07:53

knarf wrote:
Will wrote:
Nunis wrote:5. JoJo was a man who thought he was a woman (JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner) -- Beatles, Get Back
I was guilty of this one for years.
:green:
Wait...It's not "woman"?
"Do you think people will vote for me?"
"Heck Yes! I'd vote for you."

User avatar
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
Posts: 18854
Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Gender: Male
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Contact:

#80 Post by Agrajag » 28 Feb 2006, 16:21

VoteforPedro wrote:
knarf wrote:
Will wrote:
Nunis wrote:5. JoJo was a man who thought he was a woman (JoJo was a man who thought he was a loner) -- Beatles, Get Back
I was guilty of this one for years.
:green:
Wait...It's not "woman"?
Maybe the Beatles just needed to e-nun-ci-ate more (although I've always heard "Paperback Writer" and "thought he was a loner")
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

User avatar
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
Posts: 18854
Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Gender: Male
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Contact:

#81 Post by Agrajag » 11 Mar 2006, 11:40

Listening to Fiona Apple's new CD and I swear track 3 has lyrics:

O Santa, why'd ya do it?
What you do that for?
Saying there's nothing to it
Then letting me go buy the boar.

Learned the track name is Oh, Sailor and really goes:

Oh sailor why'd you do it
What'd you do that for
Saying there's nothing to it
Then lettin' it go by the boards
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29144
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#82 Post by JJ » 01 Jun 2006, 08:12

All the boys think she's a spaz
She's got Bette Davis eyes.
La la la la la.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33959
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#83 Post by Steel Frog » 09 Jun 2006, 19:30

Did we do this one?

Been working so hard
I'm punching my car.


Found this especially funny because at that exact moment in the video, Kevin Bacon is hitting a vehicle in frustration.

Vampz_xXx
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 1027
Joined: 14 Jan 2005, 05:12
Gender: Male
Location: UK

#84 Post by Vampz_xXx » 10 Jun 2006, 04:14

My sister's 5 year old son is convinced that the lyrics to Dr Hook's When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman is actually When You're In Love With A Beauitful Wombat...

He will sit in the back of the car and scream 'WOMBAT' at the top of his lungs when the song comes on! Always has me and my sister falling about laughing :lol:
It's the start of something new...

Image

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

#85 Post by Dawson » 10 Jun 2006, 04:19

i always thought the police song so lowly was actually sue lawley

feel sue lawley, sue lawley, sue law-ley!!
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 40831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

#86 Post by alan smithee » 10 Jun 2006, 11:31

dawson99 wrote:i always thought the police song so lowly was actually sue lawley

feel sue lawley, sue lawley, sue law-ley!!
Do you mean So Lonely?!!!!!!!
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Sugarpuss O'Shea
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 7530
Joined: 13 May 2002, 16:00
Gender: Female

#87 Post by Sugarpuss O'Shea » 10 Jun 2006, 14:29

Steel Frog wrote:Did we do this one?

Been working so hard
I'm punching my car.


Found this especially funny because at that exact moment in the video, Kevin Bacon is hitting a vehicle in frustration.
Are you guys brothers?
You see, Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you probably think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33959
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#88 Post by Steel Frog » 13 Jun 2006, 13:40

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Did we do this one?

Been working so hard
I'm punching my car.


Found this especially funny because at that exact moment in the video, Kevin Bacon is hitting a vehicle in frustration.
Are you guys brothers?
Woah.

Guess we both captured the elusive "Footloose videos kinda blow" gene.

Nice research, Sugar. What triggered that?

User avatar
Sugarpuss O'Shea
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 7530
Joined: 13 May 2002, 16:00
Gender: Female

#89 Post by Sugarpuss O'Shea » 13 Jun 2006, 17:30

Steel Frog wrote:
Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Did we do this one?

Been working so hard
I'm punching my car.


Found this especially funny because at that exact moment in the video, Kevin Bacon is hitting a vehicle in frustration.
Are you guys brothers?
Woah.

Guess we both captured the elusive "Footloose videos kinda blow" gene.

Nice research, Sugar. What triggered that?
I remembered that JJ brought up the issue a while back. I'm good at remembering random crap posted here. [shrug] It's a gift. I also remember that I was kinda drunk when I responded to JJ's post.
You see, Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you probably think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29144
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#90 Post by JJ » 13 Jun 2006, 18:16

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Did we do this one?

Been working so hard
I'm punching my car.


Found this especially funny because at that exact moment in the video, Kevin Bacon is hitting a vehicle in frustration.
Are you guys brothers?
Woah.

Guess we both captured the elusive "Footloose videos kinda blow" gene.

Nice research, Sugar. What triggered that?
I remembered that JJ brought up the issue a while back. I'm good at remembering random crap posted here. [shrug] It's a gift. I also remember that I was kinda drunk when I responded to JJ's post.
She's trying to say that JJ gets girls drunk.
La la la la la.

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

#91 Post by Punisher » 14 Jun 2006, 00:59

JJ wrote:
Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Did we do this one?

Been working so hard
I'm punching my car.


Found this especially funny because at that exact moment in the video, Kevin Bacon is hitting a vehicle in frustration.
Are you guys brothers?
Woah.

Guess we both captured the elusive "Footloose videos kinda blow" gene.

Nice research, Sugar. What triggered that?
I remembered that JJ brought up the issue a while back. I'm good at remembering random crap posted here. [shrug] It's a gift. I also remember that I was kinda drunk when I responded to JJ's post.
She's trying to say that JJ gets girls drunk.
I can vouch for that.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

#92 Post by Punisher » 26 Jun 2006, 01:13

Heard an Avril Lavigne song on the radio and I swear these were the lyrics:

If I could see what I want to see
I want to see you go down on me

Which made a lot of sense as they were preceded by:

If I could say what I want to say
I'd say I want to blow you away

Of course the actual lyrics were 'I want to see you go down on one knee', but I think my version is a lot hotter.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 40831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

#93 Post by alan smithee » 26 Jun 2006, 01:27

Punisher wrote:Heard an Avril Lavigne song on the radio and I swear these were the lyrics:

If I could see what I want to see
I want to see you go down on me

Which made a lot of sense as they were preceded by:

If I could say what I want to say
I'd say I want to blow you away

Of course the actual lyrics were 'I want to see you go down on one knee', but I think my version is a lot hotter.
I think the euphemisms are metric in Canada
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#94 Post by Gren » 05 Jul 2006, 10:03

OK, so I'm bastardising this thread again, but I'm sure Nelly Furtado sings:

She's a maneater
Make you work hard
Make you spend hard
Make you want her buffalo
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

#95 Post by Punisher » 05 Jul 2006, 23:09

Gren wrote:OK, so I'm bastardising this thread again, but I'm sure Nelly Furtado sings:

She's a maneater
Make you work hard
Make you spend hard
Make you want her buffalo
Make you want all of her love :lol:
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

User avatar
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
Posts: 18854
Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Gender: Male
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Contact:

#96 Post by Agrajag » 10 Jul 2006, 14:33

Butthole Surfers - Pepper
Sinner man and sugary
And softly spoken lies


That's one part of the chorus that always bugged me. I could understand the first half but not the second... I never got around to looking it up until today and it turns out I was right about the 2nd half :eek: and wrong about the 1st half... but I guess the song title makes more sense now... a little
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#97 Post by Gren » 10 Aug 2006, 12:57

Until about 30 seconds ago I thought Aerosmith's "Dude looks like a lady" said "Who's a lucky lady?" :?
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

User avatar
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
Posts: 18854
Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Gender: Male
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Contact:

#98 Post by Agrajag » 10 Aug 2006, 15:03

Gren wrote:Until about 30 seconds ago I thought Aerosmith's "Dude looks like a lady" said "Who's a lucky lady?" :?
I remember hearing it during Mrs. Doubtfire and thought it was "Doing Things Like a Lady" :?
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

User avatar
Hiller
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3966
Joined: 02 Jun 2006, 05:48
Gender: Male

#99 Post by Hiller » 10 Aug 2006, 17:58

Agrajag wrote:
Gren wrote:Until about 30 seconds ago I thought Aerosmith's "Dude looks like a lady" said "Who's a lucky lady?" :?
I remember hearing it during Mrs. Doubtfire and thought it was "Doing Things Like a Lady" :?
I heard it as "Do the lucky lady" for a few years.
Everything is awesome
Everything is cool when we're part of a team
Everything is awesome
When we're living our dream

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#100 Post by Gren » 22 Aug 2006, 13:22

Johnny Cash in 1971 wrote:I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believin' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believin' that we all were on their side.
I've been intrigued by these lines for the last few days.

Does the first bit mean troops in active service or just (innocent) people who have died, or something else?

I guess one, or both, of the next verse refer to some kind of fighting/war. Is it differentiating between people fighting for their religion and people fighting for a 'just cause', or not (or something else)?
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Post Reply