General video game discussion

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Re: General video game discussion

#1801 Post by » 15 Nov 2012, 17:53

F.N.G. wrote:
Oh, and I also recommend them to anyone who has been to the places depicted. Whilst the buildings may be smaller, there's nothing quite like identifying the hotel you stayed in on your honeymoon whilst playing a video game.
The Grand Theft Auto games are the only ones that have done that for me before. I loved being in Miami and feeling like I knew my way around thanks to Vice City.
The :) means it's all ok.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1802 Post by Toasty » 16 Nov 2012, 08:50

F.N.G. wrote:
Toasty wrote:
Sela wrote:
A² wrote:ok, I'm intrigued enough to want to dive into Assassin's Creed. Where should I start? My gaming schedule is wide open until Spring when Grand Theft Auto V drops.
You can start by the first for sure. Go fast on it. It's a bit repetitive, but it lays down the ground work. Don't do much on side missions.

Assassins Creed 2 is where it really picks up. It basically has 3 parts to it (2, Brotherhood & Revelations) Brotherhood is my personal favorite so far; Rome is just awesome to play in.

And as an open World game, you can go at it any way you want. Just do whatever you feel like.

If you use Ps3 they just released this last 3 in one Disc, so it should be cheap
Seconding Sela's recommendation. I should have played through Revelations (AC 2.3) before starting AC3, but I had it on pre-order and was being totally impatient.

AC I is totally repetitive, but has a superb story and like he said, sets up all of the plots going forward. I LOVED the map features and checking them against google earth (relative distance of the cities and terrain of the cities and points between). It was a really good game, but for the repetitive nature of the regular bad guys. Bosses were usually decent though.
AC II is much more broad and not at all repetive. The open world there is excellent and so is the story. I really-really enjoyed the freedom of it, and using open world challenges to upgrade my character before taking on new primary missions.
I'm sure I would have enjoyed Brotherhood more, if I had taken more time. It was really-really good too. But like I said, I was tripping to get to AC III.
I haven't played 1, so can't comment. I preferred AC2 to Brotherhood and Revelations because there were more puzzle solving elements (big buildings you have to find your way to the top of) and fewer 'against the clock' elements. However Brotherhood and Revelations have nice role-playing aspects. I also prefer the glyph size missions in AC2 to the other two (especially Revelations, although it did add something different, which was nice).

In answer to your question A2, I have never played AC1, and don't feel I have missed anything plot-wise. Most back story seems to be covered as and when it is necessary.

Oh, and I also recommend them to anyone who has been to the places depicted. Whilst the buildings may be smaller, there's nothing quite like identifying the hotel you stayed in on your honeymoon whilst playing a video game.
I actually really dug Altair's story in AC I. Lot of internal politicking between he and a couple of other Assassins that do not get mentioned in the backstory stuff of AC II and Brotherhood. Though, I don't know about how much Revelations got into that.
Actually, that brings me to another question about Revelations...
Spoiler
In Altair's backstory items, did they explain that non-animus memory sequence from AC II, where Desmond is walking along and suddenly is Altair chasing a female templar? In it, you have to scale a tower and then they roll in the ze hay when you get to the top.
Elegant Violence

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#1803 Post by Sela » 16 Nov 2012, 09:30

Toasty wrote: I actually really dug Altair's story in AC I. Lot of internal politicking between he and a couple of other Assassins that do not get mentioned in the backstory stuff of AC II and Brotherhood. Though, I don't know about how much Revelations got into that.
Spoiler
In Altair's backstory items, did they explain that non-animus memory sequence from AC II, where Desmond is walking along and suddenly is Altair chasing a female templar? In it, you have to scale a tower and then they roll in the ze hay when you get to the top.
Spoiler
Kind of. That is Maria, who eventually becomes Altair's wife. And she shows on Revelations. I don't remember where they tell you who she really is, or if they even do. But you pretty much can deduce it
8 more months of school.....

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1804 Post by Toasty » 16 Nov 2012, 09:58

Sela wrote:
Toasty wrote: I actually really dug Altair's story in AC I. Lot of internal politicking between he and a couple of other Assassins that do not get mentioned in the backstory stuff of AC II and Brotherhood. Though, I don't know about how much Revelations got into that.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Kind of. That is Maria, who eventually becomes Altair's wife. And she shows on Revelations. I don't remember where they tell you who she really is, or if they even do. But you pretty much can deduce it
Spoiler
Which must be what Desmond's father is referencing at the opening of AC III, when he talks about Desmond being the alpha and omega for both Templar and Assassin lines.
Elegant Violence

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#1805 Post by Gren » 20 Nov 2012, 16:09

I've just finished Memory 2 on AC3 and so far I'm very underwhelmed; finding lots of bugs and generally feeling unsatisfied with the missions. Does it get better?
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1806 Post by Toasty » 28 Nov 2012, 12:57

Gren wrote:I've just finished Memory 2 on AC3 and so far I'm very underwhelmed; finding lots of bugs and generally feeling unsatisfied with the missions. Does it get better?
I took a hiatus over the holiday, and was feeling the same. Just started into Sequence 4 on Monday night and it appears to finally be getting a little bit better... But I'm not holding my breath. I still don't like the fighting or other controls. AC II and Brotherhood had the puppeteering system flowing much better. I can only assume they had a better reason for the changes than simply to be different.

The scripted bits in III are so far much-much too long, preachy, boring and rather confusing on details. It feels to me like listening to a middle school history teacher, instead of cinematic. So far there's been almost nothing to do in free roam..... Major step down from II and Brotherhood, so far.
Elegant Violence

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1807 Post by Toasty » 30 Nov 2012, 11:26

No well into Sequence 5 I am fully attached. It has gotten much better.
Phew! Though the fighting controls are still suspect.
Elegant Violence

#1808 Post by » 12 Dec 2012, 02:57

I picked up Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 (for pretty cheap, as you can imagine.) My initial thought was that it was not at all what I expected. The whole "taking place in modern times" thing really caught me by surprise. The dna memory bit is a pretty fun gimmick.

I've only had an hour or two to invest in the game so I'm sure it has a lot more to offer than what I've seen thus far. My initial impression is that I'm not a big fan of the fighting or the controls but the story is interesting enough for me to keep delving in.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#1809 Post by F.N.G. » 12 Dec 2012, 08:24

A² wrote:I picked up Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 (for pretty cheap, as you can imagine.) My initial thought was that it was not at all what I expected. The whole "taking place in modern times" thing really caught me by surprise. The dna memory bit is a pretty fun gimmick.

I've only had an hour or two to invest in the game so I'm sure it has a lot more to offer than what I've seen thus far. My initial impression is that I'm not a big fan of the fighting or the controls but the story is interesting enough for me to keep delving in.
I tend to try to avoid fighting and use stealth. Far more interesting to play that way.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#1810 Post by Gren » 12 Dec 2012, 10:37

Toasty wrote:
Gren wrote:I've just finished Memory 2 on AC3 and so far I'm very underwhelmed; finding lots of bugs and generally feeling unsatisfied with the missions. Does it get better?
I took a hiatus over the holiday, and was feeling the same. Just started into Sequence 4 on Monday night and it appears to finally be getting a little bit better... But I'm not holding my breath. I still don't like the fighting or other controls. AC II and Brotherhood had the puppeteering system flowing much better. I can only assume they had a better reason for the changes than simply to be different.

The scripted bits in III are so far much-much too long, preachy, boring and rather confusing on details. It feels to me like listening to a middle school history teacher, instead of cinematic. So far there's been almost nothing to do in free roam..... Major step down from II and Brotherhood, so far.
I've done everything I'm going to now (finished main story line, all side missions and most of the completionist stuff that isn't tedious). I'll stick with being underwhelmed. Thought the main story line was too short, simple and samey. Some fun in the secondary missions but nothing brilliant. Things like crafting and trading were just annoying due to the input mechanism. Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Now to take the wrapper off Hitman: Absolution.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#1811 Post by Scruluce » 13 Dec 2012, 00:04

Gah! I've been sucked into Black Ops 2. I haven't touched AC3 or RE6 in weeks!

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#1812 Post by Gren » 14 Dec 2012, 16:40

Still not taken the wrapper off Hitman: Absolution. Something jogged my memory that I never actually finished Portal so went back and started over. I know I'm five years late to the party but what a game. Loved the repeated "they can't want me to do that? Oh, yeah, yeah they do." moments. Although my brain needs a rest now so perhaps I'll just play Bejeweled for a couple of days before tackling something else challenging.

He was glad to get it.

Bill
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1813 Post by Bill » 18 Dec 2012, 18:43

Gren wrote:Still not taken the wrapper off Hitman: Absolution. Something jogged my memory that I never actually finished Portal so went back and started over. I know I'm five years late to the party but what a game. Loved the repeated "they can't want me to do that? Oh, yeah, yeah they do." moments. Although my brain needs a rest now so perhaps I'll just play Bejeweled for a couple of days before tackling something else challenging.
You should try Portal 2- it is pretty entertaining too. Tons of 'you can't be serious, how am I supposed to do that' moments.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#1814 Post by F.N.G. » 02 Jan 2013, 11:30

To those fans of Skyrim: Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning is very good. Lots of loot and customising. Lots of skills to be tweaked. Not as beautiful or immersing as Skyrim, but still a good little game, and only £10 over here.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

#1815 Post by » 05 Jan 2013, 08:00

Gren wrote:Just finished Spec Ops: The Line. It almost lives up to the (quiet) hype. If you're a video game fan of any kind you've simply got to play through it (it won't take long, I finished it in a little over a week and I'm rubbish at FPSs; this brings up a separate issue but I digress). You're better off knowing nothing about it but if you want to know a little bit:
Spoiler for
It's the first video game I've played that comes close to Requiem for a Dream or Happiness in the sense of being brilliant but with no desire to go through again.
And if you want to know it all watch the full review at Extra Credits.
Ugh, that is a rough game. I finished last night. I'm pretty sure that phosphorous bit was the most unsavory video game level I've ever played.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1816 Post by Toasty » 08 Jun 2013, 07:24

Found a complete Mass Effect Trilogy pack for $40 (new) at the local Gamestop. Going to take all those recommendations and being the journey today.
Elegant Violence

#1817 Post by » 08 Jun 2013, 10:50

Toasty wrote:Found a complete Mass Effect Trilogy pack for $40 (new) at the local Gamestop. Going to take all those recommendations and being the journey today.
I'm anxious to hear what you think. The game play improved so much in 2 and then more in 3 that it's really hard for me to go back and play #1. The story through out the whole series is fantastic, though.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1818 Post by Toasty » 08 Jun 2013, 12:43

A² wrote:
Toasty wrote:Found a complete Mass Effect Trilogy pack for $40 (new) at the local Gamestop. Going to take all those recommendations and being the journey today.
I'm anxious to hear what you think. The game play improved so much in 2 and then more in 3 that it's really hard for me to go back and play #1. The story through out the whole series is fantastic, though.
That is good to hear, because one hour into gameplay and I am HATING the weaponry and how much fiddling that's required to hide, aim, switch weapons, worry about overheats, and to direct the squad... etc. The weaponry most of all is frustrating. Horrible accuracy on all of the guns I've tried so far. Story seems as fantastic as advertised and I am liking the obvious choose your own character arc feel that everyone touted too.
My character is Earthborn, Sole Survivor, Vanguard. If I didn't know better, I'd bet he's going to score both Williams and the Dr. who looks like a less endowed Helen Mirren.
:lol:
Elegant Violence

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1819 Post by Middle » 10 Jun 2013, 13:42

Toasty wrote:
A² wrote:
That is good to hear, because one hour into gameplay and I am HATING the weaponry and how much fiddling that's required to hide, aim, switch weapons, worry about overheats, and to direct the squad... etc. The weaponry most of all is frustrating. Horrible accuracy on all of the guns I've tried so far. Story seems as fantastic as advertised and I am liking the obvious choose your own character arc feel that everyone touted too.
My character is Earthborn, Sole Survivor, Vanguard. If I didn't know better, I'd bet he's going to score both Williams and the Dr. who looks like a less endowed Helen Mirren.
:lol:
I just finished ME3 a minute ago. After having 73 hours of gametime in just that game, it's really a overwhelming and time-consuming experience. But damn, it's been hell of a ride!
I really hope you enjoy it, Toasty! By the end of #1 you won't be worrying about overheating weapons, if you tweak your assault rifle in the right ways, you can basically keep firing it. Bioware did choose a more traditional approach for weapons in the second game. Oh, and get ready for some really annoying surface rides!
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#1820 Post by alan smithee » 15 Jun 2013, 11:11

Quell Memento—puzzle game like Sokoban on crack:

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#1821 Post by Batman » 15 Jun 2013, 14:38

alan smithee wrote:Quell Memento—puzzle game like Sokoban on crack:

You mean it's a lot better than Quell Memento or it will steal your toaster to sell for another fix?
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

alan smithee

#1822 Post by alan smithee » 15 Jun 2013, 14:50

Batman wrote:
alan smithee wrote:Quell Memento—puzzle game like Sokoban on crack:

You mean it's a lot better than Quell Memento or it will steal your toaster to sell for another fix?
:green:

Philip

#1823 Post by Philip » 18 Sep 2013, 00:05

Anyone else playing GTA-V? I got home late so only had a little bit of time to play. So far, I've driven a tow truck and been called the n-word a lot.

alan smithee

#1824 Post by alan smithee » 18 Sep 2013, 00:12

Philip wrote:Anyone else playing GTA-V? I got home late so only had a little bit of time to play. So far, I've driven a tow truck and been called the n-word a lot.
anything happen in the game?

Philip

#1825 Post by Philip » 18 Sep 2013, 00:18

alan smithee wrote:
Philip wrote:Anyone else playing GTA-V? I got home late so only had a little bit of time to play. So far, I've driven a tow truck and been called the n-word a lot.
anything happen in the game?
Changed my shirt, smoked a j...