General video game discussion

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

Re: General video game discussion

#1776 Post by Gren » 22 Oct 2012, 07:31

Over the last few weeks of hating work I decided to watch all 113 episodes of Extra Credits. Inspired by them (and the comments you guys have made here previously) picked up Mass Effect (1) and Spec Ops: The Line. Enjoying both at the minute but spending more time on SOTL (not to be confused with Silence of the Lambs).

And Toasty, you've gotta play AC: Brotherhood and Revelations. Brotherhood is one of my all time favourite games, a massive improvement on AC2. Revelations doesn't really add much new but sometimes more of the same is all right (although as FNG says, don't expect anything to actually be 'revealed').
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#1777 Post by Gren » 25 Oct 2012, 07:39

Just finished Spec Ops: The Line. It almost lives up to the (quiet) hype. If you're a video game fan of any kind you've simply got to play through it (it won't take long, I finished it in a little over a week and I'm rubbish at FPSs; this brings up a separate issue but I digress). You're better off knowing nothing about it but if you want to know a little bit:
Spoiler for
It's the first video game I've played that comes close to Requiem for a Dream or Happiness in the sense of being brilliant but with no desire to go through again.
And if you want to know it all watch the full review at Extra Credits.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1778 Post by Middle » 26 Oct 2012, 01:46

Gren wrote:Just finished Spec Ops: The Line. It almost lives up to the (quiet) hype. If you're a video game fan of any kind you've simply got to play through it (it won't take long, I finished it in a little over a week and I'm rubbish at FPSs; this brings up a separate issue but I digress). You're better off knowing nothing about it but if you want to know a little bit:
Spoiler for
It's the first video game I've played that comes close to Requiem for a Dream or Happiness in the sense of being brilliant but with no desire to go through again.
And if you want to know it all watch the full review at Extra Credits.
I read about it about half a year back, when it was in Beta phase. It's a Heart of Darkness influenced plot, right? With you getting some morally ambiguous choices to make as well.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#1779 Post by Gren » 26 Oct 2012, 05:07

Yep, sounds about right.
Spoiler
There a couple of genuine choices in the game but they don't actually influence anything (like Mass Effect). There are some other things that are framed as choices but that only allow you to do one thing. There's some debate about whether that's due to the limitations of the game, or some plot device to show that sometimes you have have no choice.

He was glad to get it.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1780 Post by Middle » 26 Oct 2012, 06:08

Gren wrote:Yep, sounds about right.
Spoiler
There a couple of genuine choices in the game but they don't actually influence anything (like Mass Effect). There are some other things that are framed as choices but that only allow you to do one thing. There's some debate about whether that's due to the limitations of the game, or some plot device to show that sometimes you have have no choice.
Just downloaded the game, so I'll give it a shot.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1781 Post by Toasty » 31 Oct 2012, 10:59

Gren wrote: And Toasty, you've gotta play AC: Brotherhood and Revelations. Brotherhood is one of my all time favourite games, a massive improvement on AC2. Revelations doesn't really add much new but sometimes more of the same is all right (although as FNG says, don't expect anything to actually be 'revealed').
After taking the Redskins to the SuperBowl in Madden '13, I followed your (and many others') advice and jumped into Brotherhood. Trying to push through just the story memories, but it is SO tempting to go chasing the Romulus Tombs and to focus on factions... and then AC III came out last night. Had it on pre-order so now it is on my shelf while I finish Brotherhood. I foresee a number of college summer-esque weekends of shutin game play in my future... lol.
Elegant Violence

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1782 Post by Middle » 31 Oct 2012, 14:51

Middle wrote:
Spoiler
Just finished it. Powerful stuff.

Did you try out all different endings?

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#1783 Post by Gren » 01 Nov 2012, 07:10

Middle wrote:
Middle wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
I played through three of them before looking up if I'd done them all. Missed out trying to kill the rescuers but failing, so have been meaning to go back for completeness.
The big question is which did you see first?

He was glad to get it.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1784 Post by Middle » 02 Nov 2012, 13:29

Gren wrote:
Middle wrote:
Middle wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
I played through three of them before looking up if I'd done them all. Missed out trying to kill the rescuers but failing, so have been meaning to go back for completeness.
The big question is which did you see first?
Spoiler
I shot myself

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#1785 Post by Gren » 06 Nov 2012, 03:33

Spoiler
I didn't do anything, at which point Konrad shoots you, so same ending.

He was glad to get it.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1786 Post by Toasty » 11 Nov 2012, 15:08

Just finished AC: Brotherhood. Great game... the only thing I thought was a negative was that...
Spoiler
once I had found all of the keys of Romulus, I couldn't get over to the Treasure room, to access his armor. I avoided some guards and ran into the Vatican chapter and from then on it never allowed a memory abort, or free roam in which I could use other tools (apple in hand the entire time he was still in Rome).
Still, pretty awesome none the less, really. Thanks for convincing me, guys. I am chomping at the bit to get into AC III now.
Though, someone mentioned that Desmond is overwith, which bums me out.
Elegant Violence

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#1787 Post by Sela » 11 Nov 2012, 19:40

Toasty wrote:Just finished AC: Brotherhood. Great game... the only thing I thought was a negative was that...
Spoiler
once I had found all of the keys of Romulus, I couldn't get over to the Treasure room, to access his armor. I avoided some guards and ran into the Vatican chapter and from then on it never allowed a memory abort, or free roam in which I could use other tools (apple in hand the entire time he was still in Rome).
Still, pretty awesome none the less, really. Thanks for convincing me, guys. I am chomping at the bit to get into AC III now.
The Armor of Brutus ends up being something you use more when you replay the game. It's a nice perk, but not really needed.

Now you have Revelations, which is similar to Brotherhood. More of the same, but it wraps up Ezio's and Altair's stories.

I just started ACIII...but I have a long way to go. I always take my sweet time on this games, exploring pretty much everything
8 more months of school.....

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#1788 Post by Scruluce » 11 Nov 2012, 21:42

Sela wrote:
Toasty wrote:Just finished AC: Brotherhood. Great game... the only thing I thought was a negative was that...
Spoiler
The Armor of Brutus ends up being something you use more when you replay the game. It's a nice perk, but not really needed.

Now you have Revelations, which is similar to Brotherhood. More of the same, but it wraps up Ezio's and Altair's stories.

I just started ACIII...but I have a long way to go. I always take my sweet time on this games, exploring pretty much everything
for whatever it's worth the Romulus armor is what you see on Ezio at the start of Revelations. play through Assassins Creed Revelations before you play Assassins Creed 3.
... also whoever told you Desmond isn't in Assassins Creed 3 was lying.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1789 Post by Toasty » 12 Nov 2012, 16:23

Ummm... what if I told you I already started III last night?
I think I was just massively confused about what the person said, maybe they were talking about Lucy?
Anyway... I'm kinda like Sela. I can't jus punch through the stories without picking up side missions and bonuses. Why do you think it took me so long to finish Brotherhood. Once all that's left to do in free play is some Thieves missions.

I really just need someone to spoiler some Revelations stuff for me, so I can finally be on pace with the rest of the world (though, I am already a couple weeks behind on III)
Spoiler
... especially where Desmond and his Dad(?) are concerned... and if they explained anything reason as to what happened with Lucy at the end of Brotherhood.
Elegant Violence

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#1790 Post by Scruluce » 13 Nov 2012, 01:39

Toasty wrote:Ummm... what if I told you I already started III last night?
I think I was just massively confused about what the person said, maybe they were talking about Lucy?
Anyway... I'm kinda like Sela. I can't jus punch through the stories without picking up side missions and bonuses. Why do you think it took me so long to finish Brotherhood. Once all that's left to do in free play is some Thieves missions.

I really just need someone to spoiler some Revelations stuff for me, so I can finally be on pace with the rest of the world (though, I am already a couple weeks behind on III)
Spoiler
... especially where Desmond and his Dad(?) are concerned... and if they explained anything reason as to what happened with Lucy at the end of Brotherhood.
Spoiler
Desmond passes out at the end of Brotherhood (after killing Lucy). Through nearly all of Revelations, Desmond is only alive because he's been dropped into the Animus. Desmond runs into Subject 16 there in the ether while trying to sort himself from his ancestors. 16 was left stranded in the Animus by Lucy, and then pronounced dead. 16 shows Desmond some things he never would have known otherwise. Lucy was a double agent, but the inverse of what she professed to be. She was a Templar posing as Assassin, not the other way around.

Desmond, through remaining memories of Altaiir and Ezio, is able to "find himself" in the Animus, and wake up from his coma. The head honcho that Lucy and the others were communicating with is apparently Desmond's dad, though I think THAT revelation happens at the beginning of AC3, not at the end of AC2.2 (AC2, AC2.1 Brotherhood, AC2.2 Revelations). When Desmond woke up, he knew exactly where to go to get answers. Revelations ends with them at the mouth of that cave. Major blue balls of an ending, leaving the world waiting for AC3.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#1791 Post by Gren » 13 Nov 2012, 04:10

Scruluce wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Desmond passes out at the end of Brotherhood (after killing Lucy). Through nearly all of Revelations, Desmond is only alive because he's been dropped into the Animus. Desmond runs into Subject 16 there in the ether while trying to sort himself from his ancestors. 16 was left stranded in the Animus by Lucy, and then pronounced dead. 16 shows Desmond some things he never would have known otherwise. Lucy was a double agent, but the inverse of what she professed to be. She was a Templar posing as Assassin, not the other way around.

Desmond, through remaining memories of Altaiir and Ezio, is able to "find himself" in the Animus, and wake up from his coma. The head honcho that Lucy and the others were communicating with is apparently Desmond's dad, though I think THAT revelation happens at the beginning of AC3, not at the end of AC2.2 (AC2, AC2.1 Brotherhood, AC2.2 Revelations). When Desmond woke up, he knew exactly where to go to get answers. Revelations ends with them at the mouth of that cave. Major blue balls of an ending, leaving the world waiting for AC3.
Spoiler
My favourite bit (in fact the only bit I remember) is when Ezio realises/decides that the purpose of his life is to help Desmond in his, and then your head implodes.

He was glad to get it.

Sela

#1792 Post by Sela » 13 Nov 2012, 07:50

Gren wrote:
Scruluce wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
My favourite bit (in fact the only bit I remember) is when Ezio realises/decides that the purpose of his life is to help Desmond in his, and then your head implodes.
:green:

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1793 Post by Toasty » 13 Nov 2012, 10:43

Sela wrote:
Gren wrote:
Scruluce wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Wow... awesome stuff!
Spoiler
And Here I thought Shaun was gonna be the mole, figured one of them was going to have to be.
Thanks guys! Makes me wish I had been gaming all those years after all.

So, in regard to AC III, the menu screens, tools and mapping formats are all VERY different from any of the three previous games I played. Was this system introduced in Revelations, or completely anew for AC III?
It's darker, harder to see and read... reminds me of Special Ops type games, instead of AC games.
Do you guys like the new systematic stuff so far?
Elegant Violence

Sela

#1794 Post by Sela » 13 Nov 2012, 20:00

Toasty wrote:
Sela wrote:
Gren wrote:
Scruluce wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Wow... awesome stuff!
Spoiler
And Here I thought Shaun was gonna be the mole, figured one of them was going to have to be.

So, in regard to AC III, the menu screens, tools and mapping formats are all VERY different from any of the three previous games I played. Was this system introduced in Revelations, or completely anew for AC III?
It's darker, harder to see and read... reminds me of Special Ops type games, instead of AC games.
It's new to ACIII. I had the same thought when I started playing it.

I'm liking it so far, but I haven't done much yet. Too much TV to catch on. I haven't gotten to Connor yet

Sela

#1795 Post by Sela » 13 Nov 2012, 20:00

Toasty wrote:
Sela wrote:
Gren wrote:
Scruluce wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Wow... awesome stuff!
Spoiler

I'm liking it so far, but I haven't done much yet. Too much TV to catch on. I haven't gotten to Connor yet

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1796 Post by Toasty » 14 Nov 2012, 08:41

Sela wrote:
Toasty wrote:
Sela wrote:
Gren wrote:
Scruluce wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Wow... awesome stuff!
Spoiler

I haven't gotten to Conor yet either. Mostly just running around exploring Boston. I don't like that there isn't a larger map in the menu screen, as there always has been in the past. That little HUD map is good for a couple blocks only. So far I am finding it difficult to quickly switch my active weapon/tool. There don't seem to be as many leap of faith landing spots either... I have nearly killed myself a number of times already.
Elegant Violence

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#1797 Post by » 14 Nov 2012, 21:25

ok, I'm intrigued enough to want to dive into Assassin's Creed. Where should I start? My gaming schedule is wide open until Spring when Grand Theft Auto V drops.
The :) means it's all ok.

Sela

#1798 Post by Sela » 14 Nov 2012, 22:04

A² wrote:ok, I'm intrigued enough to want to dive into Assassin's Creed. Where should I start? My gaming schedule is wide open until Spring when Grand Theft Auto V drops.
You can start by the first for sure. Go fast on it. It's a bit repetitive, but it lays down the ground work. Don't do much on side missions.

Assassins Creed 2 is where it really picks up. It basically has 3 parts to it (2, Brotherhood & Revelations) Brotherhood is my personal favorite so far; Rome is just awesome to play in.

And as an open World game, you can go at it any way you want. Just do whatever you feel like.

If you use Ps3 they just released this last 3 in one Disc, so it should be cheap

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#1799 Post by Toasty » 15 Nov 2012, 09:27

Sela wrote:
A² wrote:ok, I'm intrigued enough to want to dive into Assassin's Creed. Where should I start? My gaming schedule is wide open until Spring when Grand Theft Auto V drops.
You can start by the first for sure. Go fast on it. It's a bit repetitive, but it lays down the ground work. Don't do much on side missions.

Assassins Creed 2 is where it really picks up. It basically has 3 parts to it (2, Brotherhood & Revelations) Brotherhood is my personal favorite so far; Rome is just awesome to play in.

And as an open World game, you can go at it any way you want. Just do whatever you feel like.

If you use Ps3 they just released this last 3 in one Disc, so it should be cheap
Seconding Sela's recommendation. I should have played through Revelations (AC 2.3) before starting AC3, but I had it on pre-order and was being totally impatient.

AC I is totally repetitive, but has a superb story and like he said, sets up all of the plots going forward. I LOVED the map features and checking them against google earth (relative distance of the cities and terrain of the cities and points between). It was a really good game, but for the repetitive nature of the regular bad guys. Bosses were usually decent though.
AC II is much more broad and not at all repetive. The open world there is excellent and so is the story. I really-really enjoyed the freedom of it, and using open world challenges to upgrade my character before taking on new primary missions.
I'm sure I would have enjoyed Brotherhood more, if I had taken more time. It was really-really good too. But like I said, I was tripping to get to AC III.
Elegant Violence

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#1800 Post by F.N.G. » 15 Nov 2012, 10:36

Toasty wrote:
Sela wrote:

Seconding Sela's recommendation. I should have played through Revelations (AC 2.3) before starting AC3, but I had it on pre-order and was being totally impatient.

AC I is totally repetitive, but has a superb story and like he said, sets up all of the plots going forward. I LOVED the map features and checking them against google earth (relative distance of the cities and terrain of the cities and points between). It was a really good game, but for the repetitive nature of the regular bad guys. Bosses were usually decent though.
AC II is much more broad and not at all repetive. The open world there is excellent and so is the story. I really-really enjoyed the freedom of it, and using open world challenges to upgrade my character before taking on new primary missions.
I'm sure I would have enjoyed Brotherhood more, if I had taken more time. It was really-really good too. But like I said, I was tripping to get to AC III.
I haven't played 1, so can't comment. I preferred AC2 to Brotherhood and Revelations because there were more puzzle solving elements (big buildings you have to find your way to the top of) and fewer 'against the clock' elements. However Brotherhood and Revelations have nice role-playing aspects. I also prefer the glyph size missions in AC2 to the other two (especially Revelations, although it did add something different, which was nice).

In answer to your question A2, I have never played AC1, and don't feel I have missed anything plot-wise. Most back story seems to be covered as and when it is necessary.

Oh, and I also recommend them to anyone who has been to the places depicted. Whilst the buildings may be smaller, there's nothing quite like identifying the hotel you stayed in on your honeymoon whilst playing a video game.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.