The Comic Book thread

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#51 Post by Will » 06 Feb 2004, 01:55

:( :( :( :( :(

Tonight I watched the last "new" episode of "Justice League" on the cartoon network. I have now seen them all, which really sucks because it was a really cool nightly ritual for me to watch it just before going in to work.
I have seen season 1 and season 2. Does anyone know if there is a season 3? And if there is going to be one coming out...when?
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#52 Post by snotball » 06 Feb 2004, 02:54

wdavis73 wrote::( :( :( :( :(

Tonight I watched the last "new" episode of "Justice League" on the cartoon network. I have now seen them all, which really sucks because it was a really cool nightly ritual for me to watch it just before going in to work.
I have seen season 1 and season 2. Does anyone know if there is a season 3? And if there is going to be one coming out...when?
According to TVTome, a third season is scheduled to come out under the name Justice League Unlimited, but no date is mentioned.

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#53 Post by fivestyle » 06 Feb 2004, 07:22

x-men evolution comes on at 9:30 which is good don't know about the 10-11 time slot thou.
RISE!!!

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#54 Post by Coco » 16 Feb 2004, 01:08

Read 300 by Frank Miller and Lynne Varley, the other day. Excellent book and excellent illustrations. If you hadn't guessed already its about the 300 Spartans defending a pass from the combined Persian forces.
What, does he think you're a c**t?

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#55 Post by fivestyle » 17 Feb 2004, 05:28

Coco wrote:Read 300 by Frank Miller and Lynne Varley, the other day. Excellent book and excellent illustrations. If you hadn't guessed already its about the 300 Spartans defending a pass from the combined Persian forces.
Wasn't that dealing with the battle of Thermopoly(sp?)?

300 Spartans VS 100k Persians or something like that?
history channel did a whole thing on it a few weeks ago pretty interesting.
RISE!!!

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#56 Post by Coco » 17 Feb 2004, 07:26

fivestyle wrote:
Coco wrote:Read 300 by Frank Miller and Lynne Varley, the other day. Excellent book and excellent illustrations. If you hadn't guessed already its about the 300 Spartans defending a pass from the combined Persian forces.
Wasn't that dealing with the battle of Thermopoly(sp?)?

300 Spartans VS 100k Persians or something like that?
history channel did a whole thing on it a few weeks ago pretty interesting.
Yep thats the one.

Just checked it was Thermopylae.
What, does he think you're a c**t?

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#57 Post by Will » 17 Feb 2004, 07:41

I'm flying out of this joint on Friday and I'll be reading "The Death of Superman" series on the flight....looking forward to it! :wink:
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#58 Post by fivestyle » 17 Feb 2004, 07:52

wdavis73 wrote:I'm flying out of this joint on Friday and I'll be reading "The Death of Superman" series on the flight....looking forward to it! :wink:
I still have the original issue in the black bag unopened. I haven't read any of the issues after that IE: the 4 different Supermen or Superman RED and Blue.

Id like to hear how it goes. Or a synopsis on the story.
RISE!!!

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#59 Post by F.N.G. » 17 Feb 2004, 09:32

fivestyle wrote:
wdavis73 wrote:I'm flying out of this joint on Friday and I'll be reading "The Death of Superman" series on the flight....looking forward to it! :wink:
I still have the original issue in the black bag unopened. I haven't read any of the issues after that IE: the 4 different Supermen or Superman RED and Blue.

synopsis:

It
was
crap.

SPOILERS!!

4 'supermen', Steel (he has a big steel suit and a hammer, Terminator-supey (cyborg), Shades-supey (he has green shades) and super-kid, all go around being the next supermen. But cyborg is bad and tries to take over the world. Meanwhile Superman is bought back to life by a giant robot/coffin/lifesupport thing. He was dead because he had got too weak and didn't have the sun to recharge him. They pronounced him dead because they didn't check all 4 hearts! duh! :roll: So the machine shits him out (in "cool" new suit) and he stops the cyborg. Crap. Really. DC went and fucked up 2 franchises in the same year.

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#60 Post by fivestyle » 17 Feb 2004, 09:37

they should have left him dead, I hate when heros get killed and come back and kinda cheapens what they were fighting for.
RISE!!!

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#61 Post by Odd Todd » 17 Feb 2004, 09:53

F.N.G. wrote:
fivestyle wrote:

synopsis:

It
was
crap.

SPOILERS!!

4 'supermen', Steel (he has a big steel suit and a hammer, Terminator-supey (cyborg), Shades-supey (he has green shades) and super-kid, all go around being the next supermen. But cyborg is bad and tries to take over the world. Meanwhile Superman is bought back to life by a giant robot/coffin/lifesupport thing. He was dead because he had got too weak and didn't have the sun to recharge him. They pronounced him dead because they didn't check all 4 hearts! duh! :roll: So the machine shits him out (in "cool" new suit) and he stops the cyborg. Crap. Really. DC went and fucked up 2 franchises in the same year.
Yep crap... that was about the time I was getting pissed off at comics but was still collecting and had too much money to burn... so yes I have all this crap as well as the BATMAN getting his back broken by BANE and the whole Azreal thing... not to mention all 4 gigillion of the Knight's Quest(?) crossovers? Ugh.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#62 Post by F.N.G. » 17 Feb 2004, 10:04

that was about the time I stopped reading comics

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#63 Post by snotball » 17 Feb 2004, 12:45

Odd Todd wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
fivestyle wrote:

synopsis:

It
was
crap.

SPOILERS!!

Yep crap... that was about the time I was getting pissed off at comics but was still collecting and had too much money to burn... so yes I have all this crap as well as the BATMAN getting his back broken by BANE and the whole Azreal thing... not to mention all 4 gigillion of the Knight's Quest(?) crossovers? Ugh.
You forgot to mention the Spider-Man Clone Saga.

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#64 Post by fivestyle » 17 Feb 2004, 12:48

this was why I only collected Image and not any marvel or DC. I had no idea where to begin they had some issues on # 400-1000 and then several different story lines with the same character/team with no similarities.

It was just way too confuseing. then they always babied the characters never killing anyone off always avoiding serious issues or showing any blood or gore.
RISE!!!

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#65 Post by knarf » 17 Feb 2004, 12:56

snotball wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
fivestyle wrote:

synopsis:

It
was
crap.

SPOILERS!!

or Heroes Reborn

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#66 Post by Odd Todd » 17 Feb 2004, 13:09

knarf wrote:
snotball wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
fivestyle wrote:

synopsis:

It
was
crap.

SPOILERS!!

or Heroes Reborn
yeah yeah yeah... those I own as well... :rant:

All this money spent collecting the most worthless comics of all time. I just browsed through a book and most everything I own is cover price or less now.

Good thing eBay has alot of stupid people on it. When I get around to selling these.

#67 Post by Guest » 21 Feb 2004, 11:34

Ok, so I'm gonna use this thread in the same way we use the "Last 3 movies you've seen" thread. So, last three comic books/TPBs/graphic novels I've read:

SPOILER WARNING I think

Origin :3stars: First, I love the way this was drawn. It feels like a throwback to the style of the fifties, very iconic. The writing I thought was good, though the story reminded me too much of The Secret Garden (but then, I don't really know which came first).

Wolverine Legends Volume 1: Wolverine/Hulk :4.5stars: Wow, this thing was irreverent both in subject matter and illustration style. Wolverine is drawn in such a way that he seems like a somewhat overweight but still badass beer-guzzling in need of a shower superhero. And the Hulk comes across as what you have to wonder he really is - an overgrown child whose simple-minded way of thinking obviously gets in the way of realizing the depth of his emotions. And the notion of a little girl not knowing she's dead and so demonstrating a sort of netherworld brattiness was beyond interesting.

Wolverine Legends Volume 2: Meltdown :4stars: Again, some of the same irreverence as in Vol. 1, though the story could've been just as complex but wasn't. However, the exploration of Havok was fascinating.

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#68 Post by spivey » 21 Feb 2004, 11:35

Sorry, "Guest" was me, dammit.
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#69 Post by knarf » 04 Mar 2004, 09:07

Finished off Preacher last night. The ending wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped for, but still pretty good. Overall a great series.

(But I tried describing it to a friend and ended up looking like a babbling idiot) :roll:

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#70 Post by fivestyle » 04 Mar 2004, 09:14

actually could anyone describe the premis behind "preacher", "Sandman", and "Mage". These are all titles Ive seen alot of but know nothing about.
RISE!!!

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#71 Post by F.N.G. » 04 Mar 2004, 10:50

fivestyle wrote:actually could anyone describe the premis behind "preacher", "Sandman", and "Mage". These are all titles Ive seen alot of but know nothing about.
Sandman - ok, so he is the god of dreams. He gets into a number of far out adventures.

here is the info from http://www.dyve.net/sandman/

There are seven beings that are not Gods,
that existed before humanity dreamed of Gods,
that will exist after the last God is dead.
There are seven beings that exist because,
deep in our hearts, we know that they exist.

There are seven beings that are called the Endless.
They are, in order of age, Destiny, Death, Dream,
Destruction, Desire and Despair, and Delirium,
who was once Delight.

The Sandman is a 75-part comic book series, written by Neil Gaiman. The central character in the series is Dream, also known as Morpheus, also known by many other names, one of the Endless. He is captured in 1916 by an occult group, and held prisoner until he escapes in 1988. The consequences of his imprisonment become clear in the course of the series.

The series consists of several storylines, all combining in one major tale, that slowly sneaks up on you as you are reading. There are also some shorter stories, but they are all consistent with and part of the main story, the story of Morpheus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some examples of what other people have written about The Sandman:

"These are great stories, and we're lucky to have them. To read Now, and maybe again Then, later on, when we need what only a good story has the power to do: to take us away to worlds that never existed, in the company of people we wish we were... or thank God we aren't."
- Stephen King, from his introduction to World's End

"One of the basic things that runs all the way through Sandman is the male/female dichotomy, male/female friction and the difference in men's and womens's outlooks on the world. I like writing women. I feel that women are far more sensible than men and I like the sensible characters. Death is a million times more sensible than Dream himself."
- Neil Gaiman

"Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN is the most imaginative and transfixing book in mainstream comics today - and also the most radical. It tells eerie, loopy, sometimes desolating tales about capricious, ill-starred gods and frail humans, and it pulls off the rather neat trick of making Death, at long last, something to die for. Yet even in its most otherworldly moments, SANDMAN's greatest (and most disturbing) strength is that all its horrors, and all its hopes, are only as profound and familiar as the human heart itself.
To read THE SANDMAN is to read something more than an imaginative new comic: it is to read a powerful new literature, fresh with the resonance of timeless myths."
- Mikal Gilmore, Rolling Stone

"Neil Gaiman is on a plane all his own. Nobody in the field is better than this. No one has as much range, depth, and command of narrative. Gaiman is a master, and his vast, roomy stories, filled with every possible shade of feeling, are unlike anyone else's. If this isn't literature, nothing is."
- Peter Straub, from his afterword to Brief Lives

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#72 Post by fivestyle » 04 Mar 2004, 11:04

Thanks always wanted to read those but they were too hard to find were Im at.
RISE!!!

tedder
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#73 Post by tedder » 04 Mar 2004, 12:28

U already covered it some time ago, but I am a Marvel kind of guy. I only bought them when I was in the hospital after a car accident in the 90's. I didn't care for the DC artwork much except for the Spawn vs Batman xover. Toward the end of my collecting I discovered Image and Malibu, and fell in love, but their titles seemed to be come and go.
Say hello to the Scream Extractor.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#74 Post by F.N.G. » 04 Mar 2004, 12:30

DC & DC/VERTIGO for me. (I also liked Image, even if they did tend to be silly storylines for the sake of showing off the incredible artwork)

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#75 Post by snotball » 04 Mar 2004, 14:50

fivestyle wrote:actually could anyone describe the premis behind "preacher", "Sandman", and "Mage". These are all titles Ive seen alot of but know nothing about.
Preacher is a 66 part series about a former preacher that gets merged with a being called Genesis that gives him the power that anything he says is obeyed (sometimes some real graphic stuff :wink: ). He sets out on a quest with his ex-girlfriend and a new vampire friend to look for god to confront him about him abandoning his responsibilities.