The Comic Book thread

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Re: The Comic Book thread

#26 Post by knarf » 28 Jan 2004, 14:36

snotball wrote:
Coco wrote:
snotball wrote:
fivestyle wrote:
knarf wrote:
Brodieman wrote:
wdavis73 wrote:I think I have noticed an affinity for comic books among the users of this forum, so I thought I would start a comic book thread...whatcha think?

I would like to begin the thread by stating that Superman rocks..that is all.
Batman could kick Superman's ass. :lol:
If he had time to prepare... :D
Actually I belive there was an issue where Batman discoverd Supermans weakness to kryptonite and was able to kick the crap out of him.
He also did it in The Dark Knight Returns.
And The Dark Knight Strikes Again, with a little help from The Atom, The Flash, and the Green Arrow (?)
I got it but still haven't read it. There's also a story in JLA where Ras Al Gul gets his hands on the files Batman wrote about how to defeat each JLA member in case such a need arises.
There was a recent Spider-Man where, after defeating a Hulk-like creature, he tells MJ that he has effective strategies for all the good guys too, "just in case".

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Re: The Comic Book thread

#27 Post by snotball » 28 Jan 2004, 15:21

knarf wrote:
snotball wrote:
Coco wrote:
snotball wrote:
fivestyle wrote:
knarf wrote:
Brodieman wrote:
wdavis73 wrote:I think I have noticed an affinity for comic books among the users of this forum, so I thought I would start a comic book thread...whatcha think?

I would like to begin the thread by stating that Superman rocks..that is all.
Batman could kick Superman's ass. :lol:
If he had time to prepare... :D
Actually I belive there was an issue where Batman discoverd Supermans weakness to kryptonite and was able to kick the crap out of him.
He also did it in The Dark Knight Returns.
And The Dark Knight Strikes Again, with a little help from The Atom, The Flash, and the Green Arrow (?)
I got it but still haven't read it. There's also a story in JLA where Ras Al Gul gets his hands on the files Batman wrote about how to defeat each JLA member in case such a need arises.
There was a recent Spider-Man where, after defeating a Hulk-like creature, he tells MJ that he has effective strategies for all the good guys too, "just in case".
It sounds familiar, but I can't really place when I read it (if I actually did).

Since the subject of comic books is up again, here's a thread we had a while back about comic book recommendations, for anyone who's interested and haven't seen it.

http://www.filmwise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1657

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#28 Post by snotball » 29 Jan 2004, 02:06

Has anyone read Scud the Disposable Assassin? Is it recommended?

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#29 Post by spivey » 29 Jan 2004, 02:12

I used to be more into Marvel, but now have gravitated toward DC. Particularly because of their work in Vertigo.

As for specifics, some of my favorites are:

Transmetropolitan
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (and almost anything by Alan Moore)
Stormwatch
Midnight Nation
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#30 Post by snotball » 29 Jan 2004, 02:14

spivey wrote:I used to be more into Marvel, but now have gravitated toward DC. Particularly because of their work in Vertigo.
Have you read Fables or Y: The Last Man? They're both highly recommended.

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#31 Post by spivey » 29 Jan 2004, 02:18

snotball wrote:
spivey wrote:I used to be more into Marvel, but now have gravitated toward DC. Particularly because of their work in Vertigo.
Nope, haven't. But I now will. Because they're highly recommended by you. By Snotball. By the fucking man.

Snotball rules!

Sorry, I am feeling quite punchy at this moment.
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#32 Post by snotball » 29 Jan 2004, 02:20

spivey wrote:
snotball wrote:
Nope, haven't. But I now will. Because they're highly recommended by you. By Snotball. By the fucking man.

Snotball rules!

Sorry, I am feeling quite punchy at this moment.
You are? I couldn't tell. :lol:

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#33 Post by fivestyle » 29 Jan 2004, 05:13

snotball wrote:Has anyone read Scud the Disposable Assassin? Is it recommended?
SCUD is hillarious and one of my all time favorites but its really hard to find any of the back issues.
RISE!!!

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#34 Post by Will » 30 Jan 2004, 04:27

Any of you guys ever played "HeroClix"?

My nephew has me HOOKED on this game!

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/

It's not a role playing game, you actually use each character according to their individual powers, they are all ranked by points and there's quite a bit of strategy involved(although it is a dice game and my nephew once killed Superman one on one with the Swamp Thing which almost made me quit the game). Anyway, thought you guys might like this.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#35 Post by fivestyle » 30 Jan 2004, 05:15

wdavis73 wrote:Any of you guys ever played "HeroClix"?

My nephew has me HOOKED on this game!

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/

It's not a role playing game, you actually use each character according to their individual powers, they are all ranked by points and there's quite a bit of strategy involved(although it is a dice game and my nephew once killed Superman one on one with the Swamp Thing which almost made me quit the game). Anyway, thought you guys might like this.
A friend of mine tried to get me to play but I couldn't get into it, I guess its cause I used to play Warhammer which is in a way similiar but more complex.
RISE!!!

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#36 Post by Toto le Héros » 30 Jan 2004, 05:35

I'm, once again, totally with Coco.

Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Liberty.

I also like the Miller stuff: Dark Knight, early Sin City's
Batman Year One.

But I own almost 1000 books (as far as you call "comics" stuff about super heroes).
It goes from Calvin and Hobbes to...mostly european stuff.

Blueberry, for instance was a great serie before becoming what looks like a huge piece of Jan Kounen crap.... (At least Michael Madsen had not to work too hard on the look since Kill Bill...)

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#37 Post by snotball » 30 Jan 2004, 05:53

Speaking of comic book related games, I really enjoyed playng Freedom Force and am looking forward to it's sequal. The original Freedom Force was set in the 50s and had that feel about it. 2 more sequels were supposed to come out, one set in the 70s and the other in modern life, but it seems the upcoming game is dealing more with time travel back to WWII.

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#38 Post by fivestyle » 30 Jan 2004, 06:06

snotball wrote:Speaking of comic book related games, I really enjoyed playng Freedom Force and am looking forward to it's sequal. The original Freedom Force was set in the 50s and had that feel about it. 2 more sequels were supposed to come out, one set in the 70s and the other in modern life, but it seems the upcoming game is dealing more with time travel back to WWII.
Check this site out http://www.cityofheroes.com/

Its a game called "City of Heros" its a massively multiplayer on line RPG where you create your own hero and play in a huge city thwarting evil. Other people play at the same time and you can put together superhero teams and as you progress you gain new powers and stuff it looks really cool here are some screen shots:

RISE!!!

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#39 Post by Will » 30 Jan 2004, 06:08

Sweet
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#40 Post by snotball » 30 Jan 2004, 06:15

fivestyle wrote:
snotball wrote:Speaking of comic book related games, I really enjoyed playng Freedom Force and am looking forward to it's sequal. The original Freedom Force was set in the 50s and had that feel about it. 2 more sequels were supposed to come out, one set in the 70s and the other in modern life, but it seems the upcoming game is dealing more with time travel back to WWII.
Check this site out http://www.cityofheroes.com/

Its a game called "City of Heros" its a massively multiplayer on line RPG where you create your own hero and play in a huge city thwarting evil. Other people play at the same time and you can put together superhero teams and as you progress you gain new powers and stuff it looks really cool
It sounds a lot like Freedom Force, which wasn't a online game. What was great in Freedom Force was that the surroundings were not just static backgrounds. You could pick up and use everyting as a weapon, cars, lamp posts, crates and destroy every building on the sight with enough punches.

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#41 Post by Coco » 04 Feb 2004, 00:36

Ploughed through Slaine The Horned God last night. Cracking read and excellent illustration.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#42 Post by F.N.G. » 04 Feb 2004, 00:39

Coco wrote:Ploughed through Slaine The Horned God last night. Cracking read and excellent illustration.
It it Simon/Steve Bisley? He was great!
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#43 Post by Coco » 04 Feb 2004, 03:53

F.N.G. wrote:
Coco wrote:Ploughed through Slaine The Horned God last night. Cracking read and excellent illustration.
It it Simon/Steve Bisley? He was great!
Yes it was Simon Bisley, it's some of the best illustrations I've seen.

What, does he think you're a c**t?

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#44 Post by F.N.G. » 04 Feb 2004, 05:19

I used to read ABC Warriors and he did great b/w art in thast too!

http://www.2000adonline.com/images/wall ... s_1280.jpg
that one's very big!
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#45 Post by Coco » 04 Feb 2004, 05:23

I've read one ABC Warriors book I think, the illustrations were awesome.

That is the one with Ro-Jaws the garbage eating robot in?
What, does he think you're a c**t?

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#46 Post by F.N.G. » 04 Feb 2004, 05:30

Coco wrote:I've read one ABC Warriors book I think, the illustrations were awesome.

That is the one with Ro-Jaws the garbage eating robot in?
yeah. It's been a while. Used to read 2000AD. Had a few older graphic novels (Nemesis the Warlock, another Bisley I think, ABC Warriors).

Just thinking, was Simon Pegg's character in Spaced called Simon Bisley? no, it's Tim, oh well nevermind.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#47 Post by snotball » 05 Feb 2004, 12:21

Has anyone heard of or saw a movie called Comic Book: The Movie?

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#48 Post by fivestyle » 05 Feb 2004, 12:27

yeah I heard of it isnt it supposed to be a documentary on comic book fans and conventions?
RISE!!!

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#49 Post by knarf » 05 Feb 2004, 12:27

Heard of it, and I'll probably rent it sometime. Basically Mark Hamill doing a mockumentary at a comic book convention.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#50 Post by snotball » 05 Feb 2004, 14:15

knarf wrote:Heard of it, and I'll probably rent it sometime. Basically Mark Hamill doing a mockumentary at a comic book convention.
It sounds like it, but don't buy DVDs blindly and can't seem to find it in any of the video stores that I rent from. :-?
If youcan rely on the ratings given on IMDB, I think it's got a decent rating.