The Book Thread (aka "what are you reading?")

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

Re: The Book Thread (aka "what are you reading?")

#1876 Post by Dawson » 07 Jan 2016, 09:17

Buckykatt wrote:
Dawson wrote: I need a new book, reduced to reading Jack Reacher books, which are fun, but can read one in a day
I liked the first couple Reachers I read, but they're SO formulaic and Reacher is such a completely unbelievable character, I had to stop. (of course, you could arguably say that about Lucas Davenport in the Prey books, and I love those) Dawson, what do folks in the UK think about hte Robert Galbraith triology, the adult mystery series by JK Rowling? I just finished the third one and I've really enjoyed them all. They're kind of under the radar here, though--I don't think most americans realize she's written anything for adults (still haven't read Casual Vacancy) but I assume that's different across the pond...?
TBH I know nothing about them. I do want to read the prey books, they are on my list.
I'm not a JK fan tho. Never read any of the Harry Potter and know nothing about her adult stuff. I can say it gets a lot of coverage but it's not anything I ever paid attention to.
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Dawson

#1877 Post by Dawson » 03 Feb 2016, 06:39

I'm reading Less Than Zero now - Bret Easton Ellis
You can tell it's his first book. Long sentences and the structure is all over the place but it's actually a really good book.

Dawson

#1878 Post by Dawson » 05 Apr 2016, 10:46

Dawson wrote:I'm reading Less Than Zero now - Bret Easton Ellis
You can tell it's his first book. Long sentences and the structure is all over the place but it's actually a really good book.
Just finished American Psycho. Bret Easton Ellis needs help. He's disturbed

Dawson

#1879 Post by Dawson » 21 Apr 2016, 05:39

Just read The Postman... apparently a modern day classic. It isn't that bad but nothing special that I can recall... will still read his other books now... just wouldn't put it in the classic category.

Next up is The Devil's Detective. I'm only 2 chapters in but hooked already. It is about a murder that has been committed, but the detective who is tasked with solving it happens to be a detective in hell... so there could be a few suspects along the way.