Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (*warning: may be spoilers*)

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (*warning: may be spoilers*)

#101 Post by Dawson » 17 Dec 2011, 01:39

sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:Level 21 and this guy im with just turned werewolf! man this gamne is tough though, almost changed the settings for one bit, but not done yet.

Xmas day is just gonna be me smoking cigs, eating leftover pizza playing this!
Better then smoking pizza and eating left over cigs.
Last Christmas...
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#102 Post by » 19 Dec 2011, 03:00

I keep starting new games. I think I'm on my 5th character, all between the levels of 15-45. My plan on the current one is to at least take it up to level 50 to get the achievement. I'm trying a dark elf this time to see how the elves are treated across the place. I've finished the main quest, companions, rebels and thieves. My current one I'm going for Bards and Legion for sure and then probably going to go for dark brotherhood and all the deadrics, too.
The :) means it's all ok.

Fat Head
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#103 Post by Fat Head » 20 Dec 2011, 04:14

You guys are way ahead of me, I am only lvl 12
If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing

Dawson

#104 Post by Dawson » 20 Dec 2011, 07:12

level 27, doing the companion stuff now, found 10 shouts, found loads, still got too many active quests, and as you do one, 3 more pop up... but im getting there, my sneak, 2 handed and archery all well above level 50

Still on my first character

Fat Head
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#105 Post by Fat Head » 20 Dec 2011, 07:25

My kids have 1 hour a day to play computer games (homework and study first), after just getting the game a few days ago I have already been scolded by my 9 year old son for going over the allocated time in front of the whole family, he started given me the speech I normally give him! it was like freaky friday or something just as bizarre.
If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing

Dawson

#106 Post by Dawson » 20 Dec 2011, 07:30

Fat Head wrote:My kids have 1 hour a day to play computer games (homework and study first), after just getting the game a few days ago I have already been scolded by my 9 year old son for going over the allocated time in front of the whole family, he started given me the speech I normally give him! it was like freaky friday or something just as bizarre.
its bad when you start playing at like 11pm, lok up and its 2am.. then you have the skyrim dreams... also, don't play skyrim for 3 hours then watch FYNC in Season of the Witch, or you'll lose it

Dawson

#107 Post by Dawson » 24 Dec 2011, 02:50

Im now head of the campanions and head mage... how good is that staff of whatsitcalled that brings up a demura spirit.. thats been saving my ass a bit

Fat Head
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#108 Post by Fat Head » 24 Dec 2011, 11:41

I just killed some guy after putting his knife together, sort of going bad after listening to his god who told me to do it.

Dawson

#109 Post by Dawson » 26 Dec 2011, 00:06

Fat Head wrote:I just killed some guy after putting his knife together, sort of going bad after listening to his god who told me to do it.
havent done anything like that yet! this game is too damn freaking big and awesome

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#110 Post by F.N.G. » 26 Dec 2011, 01:25

Well I got it for xmas! (yay!) However I won't get to an xbox for another 5 days or so (boo)
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Dawson

#111 Post by Dawson » 26 Dec 2011, 02:02

F.N.G. wrote:Well I got it for xmas! (yay!) However I won't get to an xbox for another 5 days or so (boo)
So it's like me on a first date, just staring at the box?

Fat Head
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#112 Post by Fat Head » 26 Dec 2011, 02:23

Dawson wrote:
Fat Head wrote:I just killed some guy after putting his knife together, sort of going bad after listening to his god who told me to do it.
havent done anything like that yet! this game is too damn freaking big and awesome
I have been trying to be bad and ending up screwing myself over, had a house in winterborn that was full of stuff. Also had an outstanding mission for the stormcloaks I thought I would try to storm the city of winterborn (I was not really paying attention). Ended up raiding winterborn and they have told me I am no longer welcome and i dont own the house anymore. There is noway i am moving all the crap about to another location so hopefully i can find the save point before i took that damn mission.

Dawson

#113 Post by Dawson » 26 Dec 2011, 02:43

Fat Head wrote:
Dawson wrote:
I have been trying to be bad and ending up screwing myself over, had a house in winterborn that was full of stuff. Also had an outstanding mission for the stormcloaks I thought I would try to storm the city of winterborn (I was not really paying attention). Ended up raiding winterborn and they have told me I am no longer welcome and i dont own the house anymore. There is noway i am moving all the crap about to another location so hopefully i can find the save point before i took that damn mission.
I have only just joined the stormcloaks. I'm also trying to be good and i sneak everywhere with my bow and arrows lol. Found a few more shouts but only done 7 main quests i think so far. Companions was probably my favrouite bit so far, and the mages

#114 Post by » 26 Dec 2011, 16:29

I wish you could select a perk that helps you climb mountains. I hate spending half an hour trying to figure out the way up a mountain to get to a dragon roost or something.

With one character I finished the Stormcloak storyline. With my current one I'm doing the Legion missions and I'm enjoying it much more. This character is a Dark Elf and it is so satisfying killing all those racist Stormcloak bastards.

Fat Head
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#115 Post by Fat Head » 26 Dec 2011, 23:06

A² wrote:I wish you could select a perk that helps you climb mountains. I hate spending half an hour trying to figure out the way up a mountain to get to a dragon roost or something.

With one character I finished the Stormcloak storyline. With my current one I'm doing the Legion missions and I'm enjoying it much more. This character is a Dark Elf and it is so satisfying killing all those racist Stormcloak bastards.
I wish they would get rid of that damn horse in the loading screen, with all the monsters and beheading scene's the horse is the most disturbing. He looks directly at me as he slowly fills up the screen!

Dawson

#116 Post by Dawson » 27 Dec 2011, 04:12

I'm a stormcloack, the imperials are dicks. Also, wondering if i should take someone to be sacrificed, see what that does. And seems later in the game there is a lot more snaking than fighting, i dont like nicking stuff, i wanna kill some more dudes

Fat Head
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#117 Post by Fat Head » 27 Dec 2011, 04:48

Dawson wrote:I'm a stormcloack, the imperials are dicks. Also, wondering if i should take someone to be sacrificed, see what that does. And seems later in the game there is a lot more snaking than fighting, i dont like nicking stuff, i wanna kill some more dudes

I gave up with the companians, all they do is keep giving me missions to kill some animal or capture an escaped prisioner. I helped one of the dudes free his wolf soul, kill all the silver gang and managed to get all the totem's so i think i have done all the decent missions and now just getting junk!

Dawson

#118 Post by Dawson » 11 Jan 2012, 07:43

I'm getting there. I'm about 75 on archery and sneak. The slo mo is helping me destroy everyone. Also got a fair few shouts. but now not only am I a werewlf, I think I'm also some kind of cannibal.

Plus I'm pimping out my new house as it has an armoury so the house is looking sweet.

The most annoying quest at the moment is I have to patrol the square at night looking for the butcher, and I wander all night, every night, and no fucker shows up.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#119 Post by F.N.G. » 11 Jan 2012, 09:57

Dawson wrote:I'm getting there. I'm about 75 on archery and sneak. The slo mo is helping me destroy everyone. Also got a fair few shouts. but now not only am I a werewlf, I think I'm also some kind of cannibal.

Plus I'm pimping out my new house as it has an armoury so the house is looking sweet.

The most annoying quest at the moment is I have to patrol the square at night looking for the butcher, and I wander all night, every night, and no fucker shows up.
I had that mission, turned up at 2pm (not am), first day and the butcher was there. Guess it's either luck or your game is bugged.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

#120 Post by » 16 Jan 2012, 02:54

F.N.G. wrote:
Dawson wrote:I'm getting there. I'm about 75 on archery and sneak. The slo mo is helping me destroy everyone. Also got a fair few shouts. but now not only am I a werewlf, I think I'm also some kind of cannibal.

I had that mission, turned up at 2pm (not am), first day and the butcher was there. Guess it's either luck or your game is bugged.
I never caught the butcher. I solved the case and the guards took him away. Try going that route.

#121 Post by » 16 Jan 2012, 03:04

I finally got a character past level 50. I'm working now on getting all the achievements. I think I have 10-15 left to go. The latest one I got was for finishing the Dark Brotherhood.
Spoiler
I'm a little tired of every guild questline ending in some sort of betrayal. After doing the others I was really looking for it with the brotherhood. Alone in my living room, I literally rolled my eyes when the double cross went down.
While the game play itself is clearly superior to earlier Elder Scrolls I feel like the quests in Skyrim are vastly inferior. The main quest is decent but I enjoyed both Morrowind and Oblivion more. The real decline is in the guild and side quests. The changes I appreciate most are armoring (no more carrying around a bunch of hammers and touching up your gear after every fight) dual wielding weapons, leveling-up & perks and especially how they made all of the dungeons and caves feel unique. I just wish as much attention could have been given to improving the narrative of the quest lines.

Dawson

#122 Post by Dawson » 16 Jan 2012, 03:20

My guy is level 39 from 70 hours play. My problem is I have is I love the sneak and Archery (80+ on both) but smithing, things like that I'm barely level 25. I need to up my other skills to level up quicker, but I have more fun being a sneaky fucker. Some of the quest are a bit annoying when you are just travelling around here and there and back again doing nothing else but talking.

I'm doing the dark brotherhood now, about to kill an emporer? also need to get a load of blood from different things and read the elder scroll on top the mountain.

Really liked the mage quests in Winterhold but thats all done now. blackreach seemed pretty pointless as well. A large area with nothing really to do.

also got about 13 shouts, only 3 of them mastered and holding about 6 dragon souls ready for more shouts.

Fat Head
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#123 Post by Fat Head » 16 Jan 2012, 03:23

Dawson wrote:My guy is level 39 from 70 hours play. My problem is I have is I love the sneak and Archery (80+ on both) but smithing, things like that I'm barely level 25. I need to up my other skills to level up quicker, but I have more fun being a sneaky fucker. Some of the quest are a bit annoying when you are just travelling around here and there and back again doing nothing else but talking.

I'm doing the dark brotherhood now, about to kill an emporer? also need to get a load of blood from different things and read the elder scroll on top the mountain.

Really liked the mage quests in Winterhold but thats all done now. blackreach seemed pretty pointless as well. A large area with nothing really to do.

also got about 13 shouts, only 3 of them mastered and holding about 6 dragon souls ready for more shouts.
Should i use these shouts? I hardly ever bother with them but dont really know how good they are. The only one that i have used was one that moved me forward very fast which enabled me to get through certain gates etc but the rest look to be poor compared to my normal magic (or am I wrong?)

Dawson

#124 Post by Dawson » 16 Jan 2012, 03:27

Fat Head wrote:
Dawson wrote:My guy is level 39 from 70 hours play. My problem is I have is I love the sneak and Archery (80+ on both) but smithing, things like that I'm barely level 25. I need to up my other skills to level up quicker, but I have more fun being a sneaky fucker. Some of the quest are a bit annoying when you are just travelling around here and there and back again doing nothing else but talking.

Should i use these shouts? I hardly ever bother with them but dont really know how good they are. The only one that i have used was one that moved me forward very fast which enabled me to get through certain gates etc but the rest look to be poor compared to my normal magic (or am I wrong?)
I love the slow time (mastered) when I'm up against a decent bad guy, and the one that shows the auras so you can sort of see through walls is helpful. and the peace one when bears attack (I don't like killing bears) So yeah, I use the shouts a fair bit, but I'm not a magic fan and stay away from that so it's 5 of one, half dozen of the other I guess.

#125 Post by » 16 Jan 2012, 03:28

The easiest way to level your armoring quickly is to just buy all the iron and leather strips you can get your hands on and make a shitload of iron daggers. A great companion strategy to that is to use soul trap whenever you are out adventuring and fill up as many soul gems as you can. After you make your daggers then enchant them and sell them. Your enchanting will go up and so will your speech, for selling all the higher priced items.

Get your armoring skill higher so you can make yourself the sweet armors like Dragon, Daedric, Ebony and Glass. Get your enchanting up high, too, and then you can really soup up your gear. I like to roll with light dragon armor and dual daedric daggers, everything double enchanted. I can take down an ancient dragon with just a couple hits. Its really fun to do the bar brawls with awesome armor on. They can punch on you all day and never do a lick of damage.