World Cup 2010

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Re: World Cup 2010

#326 Post by knarf » 12 Jul 2010, 12:22

alan smithee wrote:
dewey_defeats_truman-1-0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#327 Post by Toasty » 12 Jul 2010, 16:22

If he never receives the pass (intercepted, or someone onside plays it) they don't call the offside. It's like a touch-up rule.
I think.
Elegant Violence

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#328 Post by Agrajag » 12 Jul 2010, 19:53

Every 2010 World Cup goal (excluding penalty shootouts)
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#329 Post by Philip » 12 Jul 2010, 23:03

Toasty wrote:If he never receives the pass (intercepted, or someone onside plays it) they don't call the offside.
Letter of the law, it's offside. But yeah, in bang-bang situations where the pass is effectively blocked, the assistant doesn't usually flag it.

It wasn't like Iniesta was Tevez-miles offside though. It was borderline. Assistant might very well have not flagged because he thought Iniesta was onside.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#330 Post by Middle » 13 Jul 2010, 02:42

Philip wrote:
Toasty wrote:If he never receives the pass (intercepted, or someone onside plays it) they don't call the offside.
Letter of the law, it's offside. But yeah, in bang-bang situations where the pass is effectively blocked, the assistant doesn't usually flag it.

It wasn't like Iniesta was Tevez-miles offside though. It was borderline. Assistant might very well have not flagged because he thought Iniesta was onside.
Agreed. And there really isn't any point debating about this anymore. Spain won, and it was well deserved. But the flak Holland is receiving in the (international) press is undeserved. There were some terrible fouls commited, but Spain made a few noteworthy as well, that have gone unpunished.
In the end the ref did a terrible job, but that doesn't change a thing about Spain just being the better team.

Better luck next time...
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#331 Post by F.N.G. » 13 Jul 2010, 07:34

Middle wrote:
Philip wrote:

Agreed. And there really isn't any point debating about this anymore. Spain won, and it was well deserved. But the flak Holland is receiving in the (international) press is undeserved. There were some terrible fouls commited, but Spain made a few noteworthy as well, that have gone unpunished.
In the end the ref did a terrible job, but that doesn't change a thing about Spain just being the better team.

Better luck next time...
The ref was the best thing on the pitch. Sorry, but I just can't sympathise with the Dutch on this. The Dutch should have been down to 9 men, if the ref weren't lenient in the first place, and applying common sense. The Dutch team went out there to stop the Spanish playing, by whatever means necessary. The ref did very well to referee such a cynical, awful game. I totally agree with Cruijff on this (which makes a first time).
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#332 Post by Batman » 14 Jul 2010, 03:15

F.N.G. wrote:
Middle wrote:
Philip wrote:

Better luck next time...
The ref was the best thing on the pitch. Sorry, but I just can't sympathise with the Dutch on this. The Dutch should have been down to 9 men, if the ref weren't lenient in the first place, and applying common sense. The Dutch team went out there to stop the Spanish playing, by whatever means necessary. The ref did very well to referee such a cynical, awful game. I totally agree with Cruijff on this (which makes a first time).
I conquer.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."