World Cup 2010

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
Message
Author
User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: World Cup 2010

#251 Post by Dawson » 28 Jun 2010, 05:11

All anyone had to do against England was sit a quick attacker on our defenders who turn slower than tugboats

Is this a real front page? If it is, it's awesome

EDIT: not the baby dying, the football bit, better make sure people realise which bit I call 'awesome'

Image
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6761
Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Gender: Male
Location: On the Loose

Re: World Cup 2010

#252 Post by Toasty » 28 Jun 2010, 05:56

Philip wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:
Philip wrote:
Toasty wrote:Every game, like clockwork, there is at least one major reffing blunder. Make you wonder how much was missed in the past, when televised reception was fuzzier. Maradona hand ball the obvious one, but there must have been a myriad of this stuff every Cup tourny in history.
That's the thing, isn't it. If FIFA are going to allow high-def cameras at every point around the stadium so everyone watching on TV can see what the right call is, we're going to continue to see just how bad things are. Seriously, how can you let the refs and assistants watch the big screen replay and see how badly they fucked up the Tevez call without changing it and think that's acceptable?

Doubt things will change any time soon, not while the stubborn and staggeringly inept Blatter is running the show and not while soccer continues to remain popular and bring in colossal amounts of money.
In the Premier League, they don't show replays on the big screen, to avoid exactly that.
I don't know why the referees aren't the most vocal group demanding replay. They suffer as much as anyone for the botched calls.
:green:
And it works quite well in Rugby... only takes 30 seconds to a minute at most, and then they move on.
Elegant Violence

User avatar
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6761
Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Gender: Male
Location: On the Loose

Re: World Cup 2010

#253 Post by Toasty » 28 Jun 2010, 06:03

I really think it says a lot about a team's intestinal fortitude, how they deal with the missed calls. US was yanked about by poor reffing the entire pool round and did not give up.

Mexico took a very sour turn (though I do agree with FNG that it was pretty fun watching things get testy), they needed to take their heads to a stronger place and failed, however.

England as well, really quit on a number of levels after the missed call. I agree, it would have changed the complexion of the game, but being that clearly (anyone want argue this one?) missed calls have been a part of soccer for eons... and being that they were representing the best in the nation, they too should have been keen to get on, despite the uinjustice. Instead, as FNG mentions their D lacked any sort of hustle on those long balls.
The English bloke on espn's post game said it best. They looked slow, fat and old.
Elegant Violence

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29144
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

Re: World Cup 2010

#254 Post by JJ » 28 Jun 2010, 07:56

Good to watch Netherlands. When they score, they actually look for eachother and share a quick and natural group moment of joy rather than one guy running off like an idiot to do some stupid display while ignoring teammates and acting like he was the only reason the ball got in the net.

(Also, their group moment is just a bunch of guys being happy rather than getting together and doing the Ickey Shuffle or something retarded.)
La la la la la.

User avatar
F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
Posts: 18902
Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Gender: Male
Location: hiding under my desk...
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2010

#255 Post by F.N.G. » 28 Jun 2010, 08:08

JJ wrote:
dawson99 wrote:sorry about the BP thing, trying to lighten the mood after the England display.
Don't be sorry. :green: That was funny. :red:
Don't be sorry, you didn't say it. Or did you? :balrog:
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: World Cup 2010

#256 Post by Dawson » 28 Jun 2010, 08:29

im a brit! wouldnt be me, I'm not that quick witted
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
Posts: 18902
Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Gender: Male
Location: hiding under my desk...
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2010

#257 Post by F.N.G. » 28 Jun 2010, 11:10

dawson99 wrote:im a brit! wouldnt be me, I'm not that quick witted
I hope that was supposed to be sarcasm, since wit (along with most good things) was a British invention.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: World Cup 2010

#258 Post by Dawson » 28 Jun 2010, 11:15

F.N.G. wrote:
dawson99 wrote:im a brit! wouldnt be me, I'm not that quick witted
I hope that was supposed to be sarcasm, since wit (along with most good things) was a British invention.
Maybe I am that witty that I subconciously meant it... awesome
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8529
Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Gender: Male
Location: Around

Re: World Cup 2010

#259 Post by Middle » 28 Jun 2010, 11:18

JJ wrote:Good to watch Netherlands. When they score, they actually look for eachother and share a quick and natural group moment of joy rather than one guy running off like an idiot to do some stupid display while ignoring teammates and acting like he was the only reason the ball got in the net.

(Also, their group moment is just a bunch of guys being happy rather than getting together and doing the Ickey Shuffle or something retarded.)
While we (mostly my fellow countrymen) are all pissed off at the lack of real quality. It seems like they sit back and relax after every scored goal, allowing the opposing team to gather themselves once again. There hasn't been a really convincing win so far for the Dutch this tournament, and I doubt this strategy is very effective against, say, Brazil. On the other hand, the Dutch team has been unbeaten for something like 25 matches, which counts for something, I guess...
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6193
Joined: 17 Apr 2004, 13:48
Gender: Male
Location: The Balcony
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2010

#260 Post by DrG » 28 Jun 2010, 13:20

Heard on the radio today that apparently the reason that the England team didn't perform yesterday was because they were "tired". WTF??!!!!

These arrogant, over-rated, miserable sods were TIRED? Let me recall how much money they get paid - around £100,000 a WEEK some of them (Terry and Lampard, probably Rooney as well).

Surely someone should be asking why they were tired. Can we blame the WAGs, the weather, the altitude. No. It's because they lack passion and only seem interested in their ridiculously fat pay cheques.

Rooney should never have started - he's done he-haw all tournament. It says something when your best player is the goalkeeper, and "Calamity" James at that. Gerrard was OK, but he's been way better for Liverpool.

My year 10 class got so annoyed about it all this morning that they actually did some work because they were too cross to argue any more!
Statler: Well, how do you like the film?
Waldorf: I've seen detergents leave a better film than this.

Image Image Image

User avatar
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6761
Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Gender: Male
Location: On the Loose

Re: World Cup 2010

#261 Post by Toasty » 28 Jun 2010, 19:07

Middle wrote:
JJ wrote:Good to watch Netherlands. When they score, they actually look for eachother and share a quick and natural group moment of joy rather than one guy running off like an idiot to do some stupid display while ignoring teammates and acting like he was the only reason the ball got in the net.

(Also, their group moment is just a bunch of guys being happy rather than getting together and doing the Ickey Shuffle or something retarded.)
While we (mostly my fellow countrymen) are all pissed off at the lack of real quality. It seems like they sit back and relax after every scored goal, allowing the opposing team to gather themselves once again. There hasn't been a really convincing win so far for the Dutch this tournament, and I doubt this strategy is very effective against, say, Brazil. On the other hand, the Dutch team has been unbeaten for something like 25 matches, which counts for something, I guess...
People are beginning to think your defense has been under rated. Now that Robben is in there with Kuyt and Sjneider it's looking pleasant.
Argentina v Germany and Holland v Brazil make for some great quarterfinal expectations!
Elegant Violence

User avatar
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
Posts: 18854
Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Gender: Male
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2010

#262 Post by Agrajag » 28 Jun 2010, 19:53

Can anyone tell me how the teams that made it out of the group stage were divided into the Stage 2 bracket? I assumed maybe it was seeded like an NCAA bracket (16-1, 15-2, etc) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

At least not using the seeds I figured out from wiki & the group stage results:

Team W D L GF GA GD Pts
Argentina 3 0 0 7 1 +6 9
Netherlands 3 0 0 5 1 +4 9
Uruguay 2 1 0 4 0 +4 7
Brazil 2 1 0 5 2 +3 7
Germany 2 0 1 5 1 +4 6
Japan 2 0 1 4 2 +2 6
Spain 2 0 1 4 2 +2 6
Chile 2 0 1 3 2 +1 6
Portugal 1 2 0 7 0 +7 5
Paraguay 1 2 0 3 1 +2 5
United States 1 2 0 4 3 +1 5
England 1 2 0 2 1 +1 5
Mexico 1 1 1 3 2 +1 4
Ghana 1 1 1 2 2 0 4
Korea Republic 1 1 1 5 6 −1 4
Slovakia 1 1 1 4 5 −1 4

Have the 1 seed Argentina playing the 13 seed Mexico :s
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 10002
Joined: 01 Sep 2001, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: World Cup 2010

#263 Post by Philip » 28 Jun 2010, 20:23

Agrajag wrote:Can anyone tell me how the teams that made it out of the group stage were divided into the Stage 2 bracket? I assumed maybe it was seeded like an NCAA bracket (16-1, 15-2, etc) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

At least not using the seeds I figured out from wiki & the group stage results:

Team W D L GF GA GD Pts
Argentina 3 0 0 7 1 +6 9
Netherlands 3 0 0 5 1 +4 9
Uruguay 2 1 0 4 0 +4 7
Brazil 2 1 0 5 2 +3 7
Germany 2 0 1 5 1 +4 6
Japan 2 0 1 4 2 +2 6
Spain 2 0 1 4 2 +2 6
Chile 2 0 1 3 2 +1 6
Portugal 1 2 0 7 0 +7 5
Paraguay 1 2 0 3 1 +2 5
United States 1 2 0 4 3 +1 5
England 1 2 0 2 1 +1 5
Mexico 1 1 1 3 2 +1 4
Ghana 1 1 1 2 2 0 4
Korea Republic 1 1 1 5 6 −1 4
Slovakia 1 1 1 4 5 −1 4

Have the 1 seed Argentina playing the 13 seed Mexico :s
It's all pre-determined. Winner Group A vs Runner-Up Group B, etc. Go look at fifa.com or something for the full breakdown.

User avatar
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
Posts: 18854
Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Gender: Male
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2010

#264 Post by Agrajag » 28 Jun 2010, 20:27

Philip wrote:
Agrajag wrote:Can anyone tell me how the teams that made it out of the group stage were divided into the Stage 2 bracket? I assumed maybe it was seeded like an NCAA bracket (16-1, 15-2, etc) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

At least not using the seeds I figured out from wiki & the group stage results:

Team W D L GF GA GD Pts
Argentina 3 0 0 7 1 +6 9
Netherlands 3 0 0 5 1 +4 9
Uruguay 2 1 0 4 0 +4 7
Brazil 2 1 0 5 2 +3 7
Germany 2 0 1 5 1 +4 6
Japan 2 0 1 4 2 +2 6
Spain 2 0 1 4 2 +2 6
Chile 2 0 1 3 2 +1 6
Portugal 1 2 0 7 0 +7 5
Paraguay 1 2 0 3 1 +2 5
United States 1 2 0 4 3 +1 5
England 1 2 0 2 1 +1 5
Mexico 1 1 1 3 2 +1 4
Ghana 1 1 1 2 2 0 4
Korea Republic 1 1 1 5 6 −1 4
Slovakia 1 1 1 4 5 −1 4

Have the 1 seed Argentina playing the 13 seed Mexico :s
It's all pre-determined. Winner Group A vs Runner-Up Group B, etc. Go look at fifa.com or something for the full breakdown.
Thanks... I started with groups but threw that out and decided to seed each team.
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

User avatar
F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
Posts: 18902
Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Gender: Male
Location: hiding under my desk...
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2010

#265 Post by F.N.G. » 28 Jun 2010, 22:22

DrG wrote:Heard on the radio today that apparently the reason that the England team didn't perform yesterday was because they were "tired". WTF??!!!!

These arrogant, over-rated, miserable sods were TIRED? Let me recall how much money they get paid - around £100,000 a WEEK some of them (Terry and Lampard, probably Rooney as well).

Surely someone should be asking why they were tired. Can we blame the WAGs, the weather, the altitude. No. It's because they lack passion and only seem interested in their ridiculously fat pay cheques.

Rooney should never have started - he's done he-haw all tournament. It says something when your best player is the goalkeeper, and "Calamity" James at that. Gerrard was OK, but he's been way better for Liverpool.

My year 10 class got so annoyed about it all this morning that they actually did some work because they were too cross to argue any more!
and the rest:

Lampard & Terry: £150kpw
Rooney & Gerrard: £140kpw
Cole & Barry: £90kpw

mental.

But still, how much you're paid has nothing to do with how prepared your body is for physical demands. If they lacked fitness, that's Capello's fault too.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

User avatar
TravisBickle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3488
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 14:23
Gender: Male
Location: Provence, France

Re: World Cup 2010

#266 Post by TravisBickle » 29 Jun 2010, 02:10

F.N.G. wrote:
DrG wrote:Heard on the radio today that apparently the reason that the England team didn't perform yesterday was because they were "tired". WTF??!!!!

These arrogant, over-rated, miserable sods were TIRED? Let me recall how much money they get paid - around £100,000 a WEEK some of them (Terry and Lampard, probably Rooney as well).

Surely someone should be asking why they were tired. Can we blame the WAGs, the weather, the altitude. No. It's because they lack passion and only seem interested in their ridiculously fat pay cheques.

Rooney should never have started - he's done he-haw all tournament. It says something when your best player is the goalkeeper, and "Calamity" James at that. Gerrard was OK, but he's been way better for Liverpool.

My year 10 class got so annoyed about it all this morning that they actually did some work because they were too cross to argue any more!
and the rest:

Lampard & Terry: £150kpw
Rooney & Gerrard: £140kpw
Cole & Barry: £90kpw

mental.

But still, how much you're paid has nothing to do with how prepared your body is for physical demands. If they lacked fitness, that's Capello's fault too.
Who, apparently, receives 6 million a year.........wtf? Oh and also, Holland look good going forwards, but their defence looks a bit suspect to me.
It's Business As Usual

Image

User avatar
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6761
Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Gender: Male
Location: On the Loose

Re: World Cup 2010

#267 Post by Toasty » 29 Jun 2010, 05:05

So, with Bradley likely out... Capello likewise... and Klinsmann not coaching anywhere, I'd say odds are good that USA Soccer will be in a bit of deja vu where head coaching interviews are concerned.

Rumors say Klinsmann took the job but walked four years ago when MLS refused to make all players available for CONCACAF matches.
New rumors say, that situation has been redctified at MLS.

I happen to love Klinsmann's analyses on the tv, but that's neither here nor there.
Capello will be too expensive for the U.S.

I bet the U.S. moves fast on Klinsmann.
Elegant Violence

User avatar
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6761
Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Gender: Male
Location: On the Loose

Re: World Cup 2010

#268 Post by Toasty » 29 Jun 2010, 08:45

The old MISL shootout (attacker runs the ball up from the midfield arc) was a much better way to decide things than PK's.
FIFA does suck. All round.
Soccer itself would be fine without them.
Elegant Violence

User avatar
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6761
Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Gender: Male
Location: On the Loose

Re: World Cup 2010

#269 Post by Toasty » 29 Jun 2010, 10:45

Love that Portuguese uni.... would rather see the Mexicans having kept it though.
Image
Elegant Violence

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29144
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

Re: World Cup 2010

#270 Post by JJ » 29 Jun 2010, 14:47

http://twitter.com/bretterlich/status/17345184766
Twitter wrote:Twilight's like soccer. They run around for 2 hours, nobody scores, and its billion fans insist you just don't understand.
La la la la la.

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Posts: 12082
Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 09:12
Gender: Male
Location: You know, right here

Re: World Cup 2010

#271 Post by Sela » 29 Jun 2010, 17:06

JJ wrote:http://twitter.com/bretterlich/status/17345184766
Twitter wrote:Twilight's like soccer. They run around for 2 hours, nobody scores, and its billion fans insist you just don't understand.
That is awesome :lol:
8 more months of school.....
Image

User avatar
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6761
Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Gender: Male
Location: On the Loose

Re: World Cup 2010

#272 Post by Toasty » 29 Jun 2010, 18:17

Sela wrote:
JJ wrote:http://twitter.com/bretterlich/status/17345184766
Twitter wrote:Twilight's like soccer. They run around for 2 hours, nobody scores, and its billion fans insist you just don't understand.
That is awesome :lol:
:green:
:lol:
Elegant Violence

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33959
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2010

#273 Post by Steel Frog » 29 Jun 2010, 21:02

Toasty wrote:
Sela wrote:
JJ wrote:http://twitter.com/bretterlich/status/17345184766
Twitter wrote:Twilight's like soccer. They run around for 2 hours, nobody scores, and its billion fans insist you just don't understand.
That is awesome :lol:
:green:
:lol:
No comment.

Hmmm, Twilight or soccer? Twilight or soccer? Does soccer come with rifftrax?

User avatar
Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8529
Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Gender: Male
Location: Around

Re: World Cup 2010

#274 Post by Middle » 30 Jun 2010, 01:45

Steel Frog wrote:No comment.
*cough*Glen Beck*cough*
Twitter wrote:Twilight's like soccer. They run around for 2 hours, nobody scores, and its billion fans insist you just don't understand.
Also, awesome tweet.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30445
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: World Cup 2010

#275 Post by Batman » 30 Jun 2010, 01:57

Middle wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:No comment.
*cough*Glen Beck*cough*
:lol:
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

Post Reply