World Cup 2010

or: How I learned to stop worrying and love other types of entertainment, too.
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Re: World Cup 2010

#226 Post by JJ » 26 Jun 2010, 16:39

F.N.G. wrote:Unlucky USA, but have to admit I was rooting for Ghana. The joy on their faces, and the crowds in general. Hope they go all the way to the final.
Impressed that you made this many sentences without saying Ghana-ree-ah.

That's cool. I can understand why you'd clap for them.
La la la la la.

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#227 Post by Batman » 26 Jun 2010, 22:45

JJ wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:Unlucky USA, but have to admit I was rooting for Ghana. The joy on their faces, and the crowds in general. Hope they go all the way to the final.

:lol:
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#228 Post by F.N.G. » 26 Jun 2010, 23:54

JJ wrote:

No need to get crabby.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

TravisBickle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#229 Post by TravisBickle » 27 Jun 2010, 00:19

F.N.G. wrote:
JJ wrote:

No need to get crabby.
It's Business As Usual

Batman

#230 Post by Batman » 27 Jun 2010, 02:47

F.N.G. wrote:
JJ wrote:

No need to get crabby.
:lol: :lol:

Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

#231 Post by Dawson » 27 Jun 2010, 03:02

Could possibly go in the awesome thread as well, this is why Capello is manager

Capello is crazy
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Dawson

#232 Post by Dawson » 27 Jun 2010, 06:44

Maybe goal line technology would be helpful

Batman

#233 Post by Batman » 27 Jun 2010, 06:51

dawson99 wrote:Maybe goal line technology would be helpful
No fucking kidding. Seth Blatter needs to shampoo my crotch.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#234 Post by Toasty » 27 Jun 2010, 06:53

Second Cantona-esque chip shot in the past three days that worked like magic.... (err.... )
Again.... a 2nd Field Ref, cures this, as well as the diving, as well as the difference between yellow's and fouls, as well as who instigates, vs who retaliates, as well as onside issues.
WTF, indeed!?

P.S.
LOVE the karma-retribution story of 1966 though.... wicked stuff.
Elegant Violence

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#235 Post by Toasty » 27 Jun 2010, 07:13

dawson99 wrote:Could possibly go in the awesome thread as well, this is why Capello is manager

Capello is crazy
Tutto Italiano!
Eh! Sit down. Come, sit down.
<sits>
... Did you sit down before?
<nods>
Get up!! (with a shove)
Elegant Violence

Dawson

#236 Post by Dawson » 27 Jun 2010, 07:22

I just read this on Twitter

Dear England: Doesn't it suck when people don't implement technology that could prevent huge screwups
Signed: The Gulf Of Mexico.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#237 Post by sldawgs » 27 Jun 2010, 07:43

dawson99 wrote:I just read this on Twitter

Dear England: Doesn't it suck when people don't implement technology that could prevent huge screwups
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#238 Post by JJ » 27 Jun 2010, 07:57

You really think this is a goal?
La la la la la.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#239 Post by F.N.G. » 27 Jun 2010, 11:01

I hate dickwads like this who blame a country for a company's fuck up. Hello, BP are a private corporation. Fuck off and die twitter scum.

Oh, and yes video technology blah blah blah (just had another major mistake in the Mexico v Argentina match), end of the day, England deserved to lose, and deserved to lose worse than that, I don't think Germany were particularly trying. They have been an embarrassment the entire tournament and deserve everything they get when they come home.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#240 Post by Toasty » 27 Jun 2010, 11:12

F.N.G. wrote:

I hate dickwads like this who blame a country for a company's fuck up. Hello, BP are a private corporation. Fuck off and die twitter scum.

Oh, and yes video technology blah blah blah (just had another major mistake in the Mexico v Argentina match), end of the day, England deserved to lose, and deserved to lose worse than that, I don't think Germany were particularly trying. They have been an embarrassment the entire tournament and deserve everything they get when they come home.
Every game, like clockwork, there is at least one major reffing blunder. Make you wonder how much was missed in the past, when televised reception was fuzzier. Maradona hand ball the obvious one, but there must have been a myriad of this stuff every Cup tourny in history.

Mexico is going to deserve to lose this one too, if they don't find their will. USA didn't allow themselves to collapse mentally after their miscalls.
Elegant Violence

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#241 Post by F.N.G. » 27 Jun 2010, 11:18

Toasty wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:

Every game, like clockwork, there is at least one major reffing blunder. Make you wonder how much was missed in the past, when televised reception was fuzzier. Maradona hand ball the obvious one, but there must have been a myriad of this stuff every Cup tourny in history.

Mexico is going to deserve to lose this one too, if they don't find their will. USA didn't allow themselves to collapse mentally after their miscalls.
True. But all the fisticuffs is fun to watch.

Philip
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#242 Post by Philip » 27 Jun 2010, 11:36

Toasty wrote:Every game, like clockwork, there is at least one major reffing blunder. Make you wonder how much was missed in the past, when televised reception was fuzzier. Maradona hand ball the obvious one, but there must have been a myriad of this stuff every Cup tourny in history.
That's the thing, isn't it. If FIFA are going to allow high-def cameras at every point around the stadium so everyone watching on TV can see what the right call is, we're going to continue to see just how bad things are. Seriously, how can you let the refs and assistants watch the big screen replay and see how badly they fucked up the Tevez call without changing it and think that's acceptable?

Doubt things will change any time soon, not while the stubborn and staggeringly inept Blatter is running the show and not while soccer continues to remain popular and bring in colossal amounts of money.

Philip

#243 Post by Philip » 27 Jun 2010, 11:41

Alright Tevez, no doubt about that one.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#244 Post by F.N.G. » 27 Jun 2010, 12:12

Philip wrote:
Toasty wrote:Every game, like clockwork, there is at least one major reffing blunder. Make you wonder how much was missed in the past, when televised reception was fuzzier. Maradona hand ball the obvious one, but there must have been a myriad of this stuff every Cup tourny in history.
That's the thing, isn't it. If FIFA are going to allow high-def cameras at every point around the stadium so everyone watching on TV can see what the right call is, we're going to continue to see just how bad things are. Seriously, how can you let the refs and assistants watch the big screen replay and see how badly they fucked up the Tevez call without changing it and think that's acceptable?

Doubt things will change any time soon, not while the stubborn and staggeringly inept Blatter is running the show and not while soccer continues to remain popular and bring in colossal amounts of money.
In the Premier League, they don't show replays on the big screen, to avoid exactly that.

Philip

#245 Post by Philip » 27 Jun 2010, 18:32

F.N.G. wrote:
Philip wrote:

In the Premier League, they don't show replays on the big screen, to avoid exactly that.
I don't know why the referees aren't the most vocal group demanding replay. They suffer as much as anyone for the botched calls.

Philip

#246 Post by Philip » 27 Jun 2010, 20:36

F.N.G. wrote:England deserved to lose, and deserved to lose worse than that, I don't think Germany were particularly trying. They have been an embarrassment the entire tournament and deserve everything they get when they come home.
I read the same stuff in the British press and I don't understand quite this level of ire over this game. Yes, they made mistakes, Terry and Upson were badly caught out on the long ball that led to Klose's goal and yes, the defense got caught out for Podolski's and yes, Barry was woeful AGAIN (maybe it's the ball but he has not looked comfortable at all) but Lampard's non-goal was enormous. England kept coming forward even after going down two, got one back and then almost immediately got the equalizer... only to have it cruelly not counted. That was the gut-punch. Had the ref got the call right, the whole complexion of the second half would have changed. England would have gone in on a high rather than feeling that luck was against them and a young German team would have had 15 minutes to question itself on how it blew the lead. Even as it was, England started the second half brighter - Lampard denied by the bar - and it was pressing for an equalizer when Germany broke to put the game away. Had it been all square at that point, the shape of the both teams would have been different. I'm not saying the outcome would have been any different - Germany were ruthless when presented their chances - but it would have been a different game, a better game.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#247 Post by F.N.G. » 27 Jun 2010, 22:21

Philip wrote:
F.N.G. wrote:England deserved to lose, and deserved to lose worse than that, I don't think Germany were particularly trying. They have been an embarrassment the entire tournament and deserve everything they get when they come home.
I read the same stuff in the British press and I don't understand quite this level of ire over this game. Yes, they made mistakes, Terry and Upson were badly caught out on the long ball that led to Klose's goal and yes, the defense got caught out for Podolski's and yes, Barry was woeful AGAIN (maybe it's the ball but he has not looked comfortable at all) but Lampard's non-goal was enormous. England kept coming forward even after going down two, got one back and then almost immediately got the equalizer... only to have it cruelly not counted. That was the gut-punch. Had the ref got the call right, the whole complexion of the second half would have changed. England would have gone in on a high rather than feeling that luck was against them and a young German team would have had 15 minutes to question itself on how it blew the lead. Even as it was, England started the second half brighter - Lampard denied by the bar - and it was pressing for an equalizer when Germany broke to put the game away. Had it been all square at that point, the shape of the both teams would have been different. I'm not saying the outcome would have been any different - Germany were ruthless when presented their chances - but it would have been a different game, a better game.
It was the lack of effort that was the real problem. For the first goal, Barry was supposed to be marking their #6. He jogged back, left him unmarked and presented an option. As it happens, that option was not used, but it doesn't excuse Barry not doing his job. The two second half goals, how many England players actually bust a gut to defend? Again, Barry doesn't deal with the long ball early enough and put it out for a throw, and once Ozil beats him he slowly jogs after him. Not good enough. Whilst Lampard had his best game of the tournament, he still strolled around the pitch like he didn't want to be there. Too many poor performances - over the entire tournament only James and Milner come out with any credit as far as I'm concerned. I hope Lampard and Barry never play for England again (and that's coming from a Chelsea fan).

Dawson

#248 Post by Dawson » 28 Jun 2010, 00:34

sorry about the BP thing, trying to lighten the mood after the England display.

England didn't try, that's why peoplea re angry. And the squad is old, and we don't really have many youngsters coming through

TravisBickle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#249 Post by TravisBickle » 28 Jun 2010, 02:10

As I've already mentioned, I'm still at a loss as to why video reffing isn't used. Not just for the blatant England goal, but also for the Tevez (I'm way offside) one too.
It's Business As Usual

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#250 Post by JJ » 28 Jun 2010, 05:02

dawson99 wrote:sorry about the BP thing, trying to lighten the mood after the England display.
Don't be sorry. That was funny.

Re: the game, I was mainly surprised that the US wasn't the only team that had difficulty defending long balls. (I mean, I know our defense sucks.)
La la la la la.