The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23176 Post by alan smithee » 14 Dec 2013, 21:59

Batman wrote:MASH (1970) - :2.5stars:. Wow. What a difference 40+ years makes. The sexism and religious bigotry come across as incredibly mean-spirited and offensive. Who knew that Hawkeye, Trapper John and Duke were such dicks?
Think of it as a period piece?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23177 Post by Toasty » 16 Dec 2013, 07:41

The Punk Singer :4.5stars:
I was looking forward to this one for a long time! One of my sister's former roomies in SanFran was a bassist for Tribe 8, and through her I discovered Bikini Kill and Julie Ruin and all that Riot Grrrl amazingness. I always blasted myself for being so late to party though, 'cause that was in like 2002 and Bikini Kill was well by gone already. I followed the travails of the director through her kickstarter and through all of the funding issues of the past two years and such. So glad she got it done. She had access to some really phenomenal feminists of the day and all of Hannah's closest cohorts. It's a shame they (Bikini Kill) stopped talking to all media when they did, because clearly this is why I never heard of them when they were really going strong (same thing with Fugazi). Bummed me out, but with this kind of stuff getting made, I got a good look at everything I missed, and evertything I liked, even though I missed it when it happened.
Pretty cool to watch someone you've met and liked being one of the interviewees too.
P.S.
Would have really loved the opportunity to see this at the Coolidge theater a week earlier with a fellow filmwiser, but our schedules just didn't allow.
Elegant Violence

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#23178 Post by Steel Frog » 16 Dec 2013, 21:33

Toasty wrote:Would have really loved the opportunity to see this at the Coolidge theater a week earlier with a fellow filmwiser, but our schedules just didn't allow.
Coolidge Corner? One of my favs. Saw the original Manchurian Candidate there.

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23179 Post by Toasty » 18 Dec 2013, 13:33

Steel Frog wrote:
Toasty wrote:Would have really loved the opportunity to see this at the Coolidge theater a week earlier with a fellow filmwiser, but our schedules just didn't allow.
Coolidge Corner? One of my favs. Saw the original Manchurian Candidate there.
None other.
I've seen a few things there now, including John Lithgow strolling regally by. Cafe Algiers upstairs is fan-fuckingtastic for post film chatter and wine or whatnot too. Was that there then too?

Oh my God, I love that sentence.

P.S.
Never mind... I apparently thought the Brattle theater was Coolidge Corner. What the fuck is wrong with me lately.
Good thing we didn't try to make it to the show... eesh.
Elegant Violence

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#23180 Post by » 19 Dec 2013, 06:47

Batman wrote:
Frozen (3D) (2013) - :3stars:. This was a good film, but not great. The songs are not particularly memorable and the pace is rather slow at first. Once we see the introduction of Olaf the snowman, things improve significantly. Not nearly as good as Tangled, but it's worth a watch.
I felt like Let it Go was excellent and could hold its own against any Disney song ever. Idina Menzel's performance is flawless.

The :) means it's all ok.

NoShoes
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger

#23181 Post by NoShoes » 23 Dec 2013, 15:32

Scrooge (1951) :5stars: Favorite Christmas Movie of All Time
It's A Wonderful Life :5stars: 2nd on that list
Miracle on 34th St (1947) :4stars: somewhere in top 3-5 (just not sure where)

PS: and now I'm watching Reservoir Dogs ;) go figure
Covid Sux :balrog:

Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23182 Post by Buckykatt » 23 Dec 2013, 17:09

NoShoes wrote: PS: and now I'm watching Reservoir Dogs ;) go figure
Palate cleanser.

NoShoes

#23183 Post by NoShoes » 25 Dec 2013, 08:07

Buckykatt wrote:
NoShoes wrote: PS: and now I'm watching Reservoir Dogs ;) go figure
Palate cleanser.
It is an awful lot of schmaltz to digest :D
Covid Sux :balrog:

McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

#23184 Post by McT » 25 Dec 2013, 20:26

Steel Frog wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
spivey wrote:Plus, it didn't help that I've got "Clooney as gently rugged and charming guy" overload. C'mon, dude. Play a child molester already.
:D
Played a wife-beater on Rosanne. Does that count?
Don't think so...

He played Booker. Fischer was the one who beat up Jackie.
Squirrel!

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#23185 Post by Steel Frog » 25 Dec 2013, 21:34

McT wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
spivey wrote:Plus, it didn't help that I've got "Clooney as gently rugged and charming guy" overload. C'mon, dude. Play a child molester already.
:D
Played a wife-beater on Rosanne. Does that count?
Don't think so...

He played Booker. Fischer was the one who beat up Jackie.
He wasn't Fischer?! Oh. Sorry 'bout that.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#23186 Post by Gren » 27 Dec 2013, 06:33

Been on a movie binge over the last week or so, so will move quickly:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - :3stars: - It's okay, but still feels like long periods of nothing happening.

Frozen - :3stars: - I know it's a family film but surely the youngest infant would ask where/how/why Olaf just appeared from? Other than it was pretty solid if very predictable and a little rushed.

The Hudsucker Proxy - :4stars: - This used to be one of my favourite films but it's somehow lost a bit of its shine now. Still a lot of fun though.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - :4.5stars: - On the flip side I think I like this one more every time I see it. Every character is just perfect and the little random bits ("Demolitions expert. Since when?") aren't far behind.

The Guard - :3.5stars: - At times it's trying too hard to be cool and quirky but when it works it's excellent. Closest film I can think of to In Bruges (and not just because Brendan Gleeson is it), which is a massive compliment as far as I'm concerned.

Primer - :3stars: - Hadn't seen this for a long time until somebody's (Smithee's?) comments nudged me to rewatch. Some parts of the film are pretty incomprehensible (both sciencey and because of the production budget) but it gets more of its value from how it makes you think rather than what actually happens.

Walking With Dinosaurs: The 3D Movie - :0.5star: - Both the trailer and the TV spots show beautiful animation with appropriate voiceovers. Imagine my surprise then when the "appropriate voiceovers" are replaced by entirely inappropriate voices for each of the characters, that communicate through telepathy, whilst acting as stupidly as possible. WTF? One of the worst films I've seen for some time.

Flushed Away - :3.5stars: - I can see why this didn't do well with the British emphasis, but luckily I am British so really enjoyed it.

The Odessa File - :3stars: - Didn't know much about this before watching, in fact I was expecting Michael Caine rather than Jon Voight (but that's The Ipcress File), however I was pleasantly surprised by a pretty tight thriller on an interesting premise.

The Blair Witch Project - :4.5stars: - It's easy to slate now but I think it could be the best horror film ever made.
Last edited by Gren on 27 Dec 2013, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#23187 Post by Batman » 27 Dec 2013, 08:34

All the King's Men (1949) - :2stars:. This started out quite good but rapidly descended into a political cliché. Christ, some mediocre films have won the Oscar for Best Picture.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (3D HFR) (2013) - :3.5stars:. The story progresses in an adequate fashion. It still looks good, though I'm not overly impressed with the High Frame Rate.

Free Birds (2013) - :1.5stars:. I guess this film isn't really intended for adults. To be honest, I'm not even sure it's really intended for children. I think it's intended for mostly for mildly retarded Hollywood producers that green-light this kind of shit.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Batman

#23188 Post by Batman » 30 Dec 2013, 10:46

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013) - :3.5stars:. If you like the seemingly random absurdities that made up the first film, I imagine you'll like this one as well. The only thing that let the film down was that they tried to fit in too many unnecessary gags. The overuse of Brick is a perfect example. The final rumble scene at the end was superb.

All Is Lost (2013) - :2stars:. This is an interesting film due to the fact that with the exception of a short monologue at the beginning and a single, long, very appropriate "FUUUUUUUUUCK!" in the middle, there is no dialogue. Where the film falls short, is that even with the unfolding puzzle of "How do you survive at sea when all this bad shit happens?", there's really not much else there.

Diner (1982) - :3.5stars:. There's some really good performances here from the whole cast and an interesting story focusing on the unfolding lives of recent college graduates. Yeah, I remember what that was like.
Last edited by Batman on 30 Dec 2013, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Batman

#23189 Post by Batman » 30 Dec 2013, 10:46

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) - :3.5stars:. I thought this was an enjoyable little romp, though I suppose it's easily forgettable once you leave the cinema. Still, if you're looking to make a few New Year's resolutions, this is just the film to get your life in focus, I suppose.

47 Ronin (2013) - :1.5stars:. This might as be called Pinocchio and the 46 Ronin, because Keanu Reeves is the most wooden samurai ever. Nothing really exciting or even remotely believable about this entire film. Dull, dull, dull.

Le Samouraï (1967) - :3.5stars:. This was an interesting take on the killer-for-hire flick, though I think if he had found himself a good lawyer, much of the latter half of the film would have been unnecessary. The plot was thick enough, and the flow was driving enough, to keep me interested throughout. Fun to watch, though I left feeling a little empty at the end.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23190 Post by Humphrey » 02 Jan 2014, 03:55

The Prophet, the Gold and the Transylvanians :4.5stars: A Romanian film from 1979, it is a magnificent western about two Transylvanian brothers who go to Utah to convince their brother to return home for the sake of the village that he left behind. They find out he is a fearsome outlaw, embroiled in a bitter conflict with the head of the nascent Mormon Church, a corrupt and venal man, a rapist who forces his victims to marry him, and an exploiter of local gold prospectors who robs those he pretends to shield from exploitation. What is stunning about this film is how spot-on the characters, the plot, the location and the dialogue all are. It is easily more accurate in its portrayal of the wild west than even the most convincing spaghetti western. It has to be my favourite eastern after the wonderful Czechoslovakian film Lemonade Joe, even if this film carries an overtly pro-Communist, anti-West message.

Child's Pose :5stars: Suffering from what is probably a mistranslation of its title, this is nonetheless, a close to perfect film. It tells the story of a mother and what she is prepared to do in order to protect her son, who has caused a traffic accident. Perfectly acted, brilliantly written, and even the usually off-putting handheld camera (used throughout) is spot-on. For me, this film felt utterly true and described a kind of general attitude (to responsibility, to social fairness, to crime, to authority, to power and money) that is achingly familiar from my own country in Central and Eastern Europe, and, for this reason, was one of the most absorbing and lasting film experiences of 2013.

Samurai Assassin (1965) :4stars: Painfully slow at times, and, frankly, tedious in its structure (the film uses a series of pedantically detailed flashbacks to tell the story of a plot to assassinate the Eminence Grise behind the last head of the Tokugawa Shogunate), yet in many ways a compelling and wonderful film. Toshiro Mifune stars as one of the conspirators, motivated by a desire to become a samurai of renown and high position. It is clear, this must have been a very controversial film upon its release. It explores the hypocrisy of Japan's strict code of honour, which serves a parasitic and selfish elite to preserve their own interests, and to keep the bulk of the population in servitude, poverty and misery. Amid all the pompous detail and boring back-story, the film imperceptibly builds towards a truly shocking final scene. Yojimbo (1961), with its selfish-yet-communitarian protagonist is often credited with heralding the end of the classical samurai film. It is time Samurai Assassin was recognized as a similarly significant, if considerably less enjoyable, nail in the chambara's coffin.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23191 Post by Humphrey » 15 Jan 2014, 05:14

My film consumption is pretty shamefully slow at the moment.

Musashi Miyamoto :3stars: Long-winded and fairly boring first instalment in what promises to be, nonetheless, a cracking samurai trilogy. This film gets all the tedious stuff out of the way: Takezo is a wild and unruly samurai wannabe who is transformed, in a series of frustratingly tedious encounters, into a zen warrior known as Musashi Miyamoto. At the end of the film he sets off to kick arse reluctantly. I expect Duel at Ganryu Island and Duel at Ichijoji Temple will be wonderful films where Musashi, played by the great Toshiro Mifune, grows increasingly less zen, unleashes increasingly devastating servings of violence until he truly loses his cool, cuts down everyone in a 20-minute fight sequence and then calms down again. I look forward to it.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23192 Post by spivey » 27 Jan 2014, 21:42

Roman Holiday :3stars: Charming, fun.
Spoiler
Fascinated that a sad ending could feel like a happy ending.
Captain Phillips :3stars: Would I give it a Best Picture award? Probably not. But it definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat. And I must admit, Tom Hanks made me cry.

Dallas Buyers Club :4stars: I know McConaughey's turn in Dazed and Confused should've been a clear indication of things to come, but his work Dallas Buyer's Club seriously surprised me. He was impeccable, as were the editing and camera work. It still has a sort of After-School Special for Adults kind of feeling to it that would keep me from giving it an Oscar, but overall, I was thoroughly impressed.

Enough Said :2stars: A valiant effort, but lacking a few layers in terms of storytelling.

Saving Mr. Banks :2stars: Tom Hanks as Salieri and Emma Thompson as Mozart. Wait…something not's right…

The Wolf of Wall Street :2stars: It's like they say: you can't teach an old Scorsese new tricks.

Frozen :1star: I would've given this extra stars if there'd been a little more ass-shaking from the ice sister. The Walt Disney Company, teaching little girls how to be slutty one musical number at a time.

The Croods :3.5stars: Should win the Oscar, but it won't. Cinderella to Disney's wicked stepsister, Frozen. Entertains and makes you think. More family film than anything Disney's put out in a long time.

La grande belleza (The Great Beauty) :3stars: Solidly captivating, though a tad contrived.

Cutie and the Boxer :2stars: Am I the only person who cringes when I see a painter not using a paintbrush and instead dipping something weird* in the paint and use that to make his aaaaaaart?

*not his penis

Dirty Wars :2.5stars: About as informative as you'd hope from a documentary with such a complex subject. Could've done without the forced cloak-and-dagger mood.

Les émotifs anonymes (Romantics Anonymous) :2.5stars: Charming and lovely, but, and I never thought I'd say something like this, it needs to be remade in the US.

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie) :4stars: Never, ever disappoints. Took this many re-watches to realize how dirty some of the humor is.

Malèna :3stars: This f*cking thing was disturbing, and it's not supposed to be, I think. Such a dark turn from the same person who made Cinema Paradiso. Instead of "cinema made me a dreamer", this was more like "cinema gave me rape fantasies".

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire :3.5stars: Much more compelling than I thought it was gonna be. Jennifer Lawrence channeled her Winter's Bone performance. A darker, more thoughtful interpretation of the Hunger Games trilogy. Closer to what I imagined when I read the books.

August: Osage County :3.5stars: Let me be clear: nothing I've seen so far from last year deserves a Best Picture Oscar. But it's a travesty Saving Mr. Banks and The Wolf of Wall Street were nominated over this one. A travesty almost as big as Julia Roberts getting the Oscar for Erin Brockovich over Ellen Burstyn in A Requiem for a Dream.

The Grifters :2stars: 4 Oscar noms? There must be something wrong with me. I just don't see it.

Movie 43 :1star: What this must've sounded like in the room when it was thought up gets more stars than its actual execution.

Play It Again, Sam :4stars: I'd easily place this right along Cinema Paradiso in terms of brilliant love letters to cinema.
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

Batman

#23193 Post by Batman » 06 Feb 2014, 06:54

American Hustle (2013) - :4.5stars:. This was a damn fine movie. Great characterizations, good pacing and a really good story. After reading about the similarities with the real-life ABSCAM, I was surprised to find out how much of the movie was actually true.

Audition (1999) - :3stars:. This was a hell of an interesting film, and the torture scene while brief is disturbingly graphic, but the actual concept of this woman and how the protagonist ends up with her seems way too convoluted. Still, if you've got a strong stomach it's worth a watch.

Last Vegas (2013) - :2.5stars:. I suppose this was sold to the studios as The Hangover for geriatrics. However, with the exception of a bachelor party happening in Las Vegas, they couldn't be more different. This is the type of predictable mush that someone missing the majority of their teeth will like. It's not impossible to sit through, but it really is just a bowl of pap.

Batman

#23194 Post by Batman » 06 Feb 2014, 06:55

Delivery Man (2013) - :2.5stars:.In this film Vince Vaughan plays Vince Vaughan but with a different name. I can't remember what it is, but it doesn't really matter. Anywho, Vince is the most prolific donor to a now-closed fertility clinic and due to moral lapses by the now-deceased clinic operator and Vince's super sperm, he is the biological father of 500+ offspring. Hilarity doesn't exactly ensue, but mawkish sentimentality does.

I Confess (1953) - :4stars:. This was a pretty damn good Hitchcock film, but not just because of a great story and direction. I found the more interesting bit to be the obvious differences between the actors. The stars Montgomery Clift and Karl Malden were both students of method acting. The rest of the cast, not so much. The result is a couple of great performances surrounded by some real, over-the-top emoting. I'd be interested to find out how much influence this film had on other actors of the time.

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) - :3.5stars:. Another enjoyable animated feature from Studio Ghibli. This one is much more child-oriented than say Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle, but it has every bit of the inventiveness of either. It was a lot of fun.

Batman

#23195 Post by Batman » 06 Feb 2014, 06:57

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - :5stars:. Another great film from Scorsese with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill turning in some fantastic performances. I've heard a lot of flack about how this film glamorizes the excesses of Wall Street but I've got to say I saw it as completely the opposite. Even though Jordan Belfort made a shit-load of cash, his life was a train wreck. Everything in it goes horribly, horribly wrong. Like Scorsese's Goodfellas, this is definitely a cautionary tale.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014) - :2.5stars:. Sorry Chris, you're neither Bond nor Bourne. While it tries hard to be the nest big spy thriller franchise, this has none of the adrenaline-pumping moments of either of the aforementioned series. Based solely on his portrayal of Kirk in the Star Trek films, I'll admit that Chris Pine could be a great action star. But this movie isn't the vehicle for him.

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013) - :4stars:. I think for someone to like this film, they really need to like the Coen Brothers. While I don't think this is nearly as good as A Serious Man, I can honestly say that I enjoyed it. However, I know that because of the way the film is structured, and the fact that the title character isn't entirely sympathetic, it's not going to be for everyone.

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23196 Post by spivey » 06 Feb 2014, 09:01

Batman wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - I've heard a lot of flack about how this film glamorizes the excesses of Wall Street but I've got to say I saw it as completely the opposite. Even though Jordan Belfort made a shit-load of cash, his life was a train wreck. Everything in it goes horribly, horribly wrong. Like Scorsese's Goodfellas, this is definitely a cautionary tale.
Spoiler
Agreed. Though, the only thing that threw me off was Jordan Belfort's cameo toward the end. I couldn't help but to think that'd be a massive slap in the face to the people he f'ed over. But I didn't think the movie glamorized what he did.
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

Batman

#23197 Post by Batman » 06 Feb 2014, 10:47

spivey wrote:
Batman wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - I've heard a lot of flack about how this film glamorizes the excesses of Wall Street but I've got to say I saw it as completely the opposite. Even though Jordan Belfort made a shit-load of cash, his life was a train wreck. Everything in it goes horribly, horribly wrong. Like Scorsese's Goodfellas, this is definitely a cautionary tale.
Spoiler
Agreed. Though, the only thing that threw me off was Jordan Belfort's cameo toward the end. I couldn't help but to think that'd be a massive slap in the face to the people he f'ed over. But I didn't think the movie glamorized what he did.
Spoiler
What was the cameo? I didn't notice it. Then again, I have no idea what he looks like.

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23198 Post by spivey » 06 Feb 2014, 11:02

Batman wrote:
spivey wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
What was the cameo? I didn't notice it. Then again, I have no idea what he looks like.
Spoiler
He introduces Leonardo DiCaprio at the end, at that conference thing where he asks a few people in the front to sell him a pen. It's just 20 seconds or so. Can't help but to wonder what Scorsese's reasoning was behind that decision. Unless Jordan Belfort demanded it as a condition of selling the story rights? Who knows. But it bugged me, and I didn't even lose any money 'cause of the guy. That detail helped me understand people being pissed and Scorsese getting heckled at the Academy screening of the film.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#23199 Post by Steel Frog » 08 Feb 2014, 21:54

Batman wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - :5stars:. Another great film from Scorsese with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill turning in some fantastic performances. I've heard a lot of flack about how this film glamorizes the excesses of Wall Street but I've got to say I saw it as completely the opposite. Even though Jordan Belfort made a shit-load of cash, his life was a train wreck. Everything in it goes horribly, horribly wrong. Like Scorsese's Goodfellas, this is definitely a cautionary tale.
Oh, I'm sure it's, like Goodfellas, a cautionary tale all right. And like Goodfellas, it will be loved for anything-but-cautionary reasons.

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23200 Post by Will » 09 Feb 2014, 17:25

Steel Frog wrote:
Batman wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) - :5stars:. Another great film from Scorsese with Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill turning in some fantastic performances. I've heard a lot of flack about how this film glamorizes the excesses of Wall Street but I've got to say I saw it as completely the opposite. Even though Jordan Belfort made a shit-load of cash, his life was a train wreck. Everything in it goes horribly, horribly wrong. Like Scorsese's Goodfellas, this is definitely a cautionary tale.
Oh, I'm sure it's, like Goodfellas, a cautionary tale all right. And like Goodfellas, it will be loved for anything-but-cautionary reasons.
I must be getting old, this was the kind of movie I would have absolutely loved and went on and on about 20 years ago. Now it just makes me sad that these people exist. I suppose we could take this over to the stroke my beard thread and discuss how you could argue that this is actually a very liberal minded film in that it confirms the long held position of the liberal that people who work on Wall Street are void of merit and yet still get to live a very comfortable life even after being exposed. And by we, I mean everyone except me 'cause I just shot my analytic wad.
I do have to admit to laughing at the Lemmon Quaalude scene.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man